transmission issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > transmission issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
SirCyber

transmission issues

ok, so I am driving home from work today at ~60mph and reach my off ramp. I push in the clutch and my whole jeep starts shaking HARD. Release the clutch and shaking stops, but I am arriving at my stopsign. once again, clutch in, shaking commences. try to shift gears, pops out of 5th, wont go into any gears. finally man-handle it into 2nd and it started shaking HARD once again! so I limp the rest of the way home in 2nd, try futiley over and over to get it into gear, won't go into anything but 2nd. releasing the clutch in neutral results in shaking as well, but not near so much.
Those are the symptoms. some ideas I've been given are the throw-out bearing, possibly hydraulics. I crawled under it and *forgive me for not showing my mechanical ignorance* noticed the rearmost part of the transmission has a plastic thing with a seal around it, it is slightly *showing the seal* out. I pull it all the way out with little effort, and the whole assembly is plastic. there is pink stuff near the top of the inside of this "thing". also of note, my 4 wheel drive doesn't feel like it was disengaged, but talked to a friend and he said it may be acting like it's in 4 high, but not really engaged. was planning on addressing that at the earliest convenience. Also of note, my starter bolt is VERY tight, but not all the way in, resulting in difficulties in starting it every once in a while. I don't know how tight the bolts are mating the engine to transmission, but all looks good there. everything I've looked at so far seems to be pointing to the throwout bearing, I'm just trying to see opinions here, anyone able to help?

SirCyber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the slave cylinder went out to me. That is the the thing that engages the clutch with hydraulic pressure. It works kind of like a master cylinder for the brakes. If the internal seal went out it will not fully engage the clutch and wont leak either. Have you checked the fluid in the reservoir?
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
SirCyber

ok well checked the clutch fluid *the reservoir by the firewall right over the driver tire* and it's full
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The slave cylinder is still a suspect. The fluid can bypass the piston if the seal is bad and there will be no external leaks or missing fluid.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
SirCyber

thank you I will check that out tomorrow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.