Transmission Interchange - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transmission Interchange

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
brianrich07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission Interchange

Hey guys, a while back I was cruising Jeep forums and I came across a BIG interchange thread. I'm trying to figure out what aw4's will swap into my jeep. I have a 96 and im swapping the trans out. Its a 2wd and I was givin a 3in lift and a front axle. I just need a 4wd trans and tcase and some more odds and ends. If someone knows where that thread is (I've searched and searched) please post a link or if some one has done this, let me know. I found a complete 94 Xj for 600. I just wanna make sure because I know the 96 is a wierd year. Thanks in advance!!

brianrich07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dont hold me to this but I believe if you take everything from the 94 it should all work with the 96 as the trans is stand alone and both are obdI . When I did a 99 there was a few things that didn't work like the dash 4x4 light and the light on the shifter bezel . As the body harness didn't have the connectors for them.
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

This pretty much covers it:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

All aw4 xj trannys will fit. Lol. Beyond that it gets tricky. But the 94 should work fine.
I just put in a 90 built aw4 in my 92. Had to rewire the solenoids to make it shift.
What I learned is...
87-90 renix era will fit in 91-96. Will need the 91-96 bell. And will need wiring changed in trans.
Some 96.5 are treated as 97.
The biggest problem I ran into was the tcase. I had a 95 np231hd case. Had to swap the input shaft to work on the renix trans.
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
brianrich07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Paradise, thats exactly what I was looking for!! I know they will all physically interchange, I just don't want to get in a mess trying to MAKE something work. I would rather wait around and find one that works 100% with my jeep. I plan on making my own harness for the indicator lights, that's no big deal. Thanks for yalls help guys!!
brianrich07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.