Transmission Cooler & Gauge Install *lots of pics* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transmission Cooler & Gauge Install *lots of pics*

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 04-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission Cooler & Gauge Install *lots of pics*

Finally got around to installing this stuff over the past couple days... it's all really easy, but it's been nasty hot till this week, so I've been waiting. It's a B&M SuperCooler # 70268 (same one Jason uses in his writeup, was $51 new locally) and Autometer 2 1/16" GS Series trans temp gauge (I got this one because the colors match OE Jeep gauges , #3849, $70 local). Anyway, here's the write-up:

1) Remove the two screws in each headlight surround, and the four screws across the top of the grill.

2) Decide where to mount it. I had originally used the two left-most available holes, but got excessive engine temps (from blocking the fan almost entirely) and ended up moving it to where the arrows indicate. The right most hole (red dot below) just needs to be drilled through like 0.0625" aluminum, and there's a hole in the radiator support beneath that.

3) Bend up the supplied brackets (or some plumber's wrap or something) to hold the cooler in place. Mine looked like this, and this should work for any 97-01 model. There's even a hole in the lower radiator support that lines up.

4) Plumbing install is a tad more interesting... I just chopped the two trans lines going into the radiator, used the supplied bard fittings and hose (along with a galvanized T for the gauge thermometer) and it hooked up fine. There was one problem though, both Jason's write-up and the FSM list the FRONT trans line as supply (pressure out), which is it, but both say it goes into the top of the radiator. The FRONT line on mine goes into the bottom of the radiator (which actually makes more sense) and the top is return. So I assumed the top was supply, and have the thermometer on the cold side, which I'm going to switch. Pics to come with proper routing.

*plumbing pics here*

5) You're done installing. Snug everything up, replace the grill and light surrounds, and enjoy the piece of mind.

lost honda pro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Now that the cooler and thermometer are installed, it’s gauge time.

1) Remove the center console via the six screws in the storage bin, and these two here.

2) I traced the inside of the backing cup to get a rough idea of gauge diameter, traced that onto the flat spot on the console (in front of the TC lever), Dremel’d it (with a routing bit), and slowly went bigger till it fit snug.

3) Now, test fitting the backing cup, we see that it interferes. Simply shave down the pointy side, outlined here in red, and voila.

4) Wiring. I taped off one of the orange illumination supply wires for the trans/TC shift lever lights, dropped a ground around one of those bolts, and have yet to run the other two. (Pics will come, probably Thursday) Installed, it looks like this.

5) And the best part (though these pics suck, more coming) is that the gauge matches the color of the Jeep gauges very well. I’m thinking about brighter bulbs all around, but for the time being, I’m very pleased.

Unread 04-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

thats a cool palce for the gauge... I will have to stick my next gauge there... Cool write up! do you have pic's were you mounted the sending unit for the Gauge?
NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
thats a cool palce for the gauge... I will have to stick my next gauge there... Cool write up! do you have pic's were you mounted the sending unit for the Gauge?
Thanks, the idea wasn't mine though... I think it was from the A/C compressor to OBA conversion write-up from a couple months ago, someone stuck an air pressure gauge there.

As for pics, no, not yet. I will take the rest on Thursday (no class ) when I switch the lines around run the wires.
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good deal man. I thought about mounting mine there, but I ended up buying a gauge cup for my sport comp gauge and mounting it on the shifter bezel. Got my trans cooler in there too, mounted exactly like the writeup. I took off the whole front fascia, drilled into the core support and used the supplied sheet metal screws to hold the brackets. I was amazed how great everything fit in there. I'll take some pics sometime soon.
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
xjfan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice write-up... Another project for the jeep. I have the guage but wasn't sure were to put it, problem solved...

Thanks.

1999 XJ Sport, Black on Black, 4.0L

Follow build-up Cardomain XJfan Build Up
xjfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the comments guys, i'll update tomorrow once i run the signal/power wires and get better pics of everything...
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That is exactly the same place I put my transmission temp gauge and some people didn't think it would be a good idea to put it there but I love it there.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
TehHelmet
2008 KK Liberty 

Very cool.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #76
TehHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
nascarnation
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm doing the identical install on my 97.
On mine the feed line "from" transmission is (like yours) connected to the bottom port on the radiator side tank cooler.
nascarnation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. Although it seems the shifter would be in your line of sight with the shifter in 2HI...
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
xjarchaeologist
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. Have you thought about hooking up a dimmer knob or a resistor so it's not as bright? I really like that, but it's really bright compared to everything else...
xjarchaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
jeepnatv4life
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pix of the Gauge Hook up? The T fitting that you used.
Unread 04-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
Rowingfish87
2002 TJ Wrangler 

on a somewhat unrelated note, how do you get the shifter handle off? I have to take my console out a few weeks ago and couldnt figure it out...
Rowingfish87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

the the gear selector handle just pulls off. the first time she's a stubborn SOB
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
transmission cooler , transmission temp gauge , writeup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.