Transfer case whining/grinding noise. Please help I'm extremely frustrated! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transfer case whining/grinding noise. Please help I'm extremely frustrated!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
zalgork
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer case whining/grinding noise. Please help I'm extremely frustrated!

I rebuild my transfer case about 3 times now, the first time i got the wrong silicone, next time i didnt get a good seal, and now i have a winding noise when it is in 2 wheel drive so i took it apart and put it back together and still is there. The faster i go the higher pitch it gets. When i put it in 4x4 the noise stops, it only does it when it is in 2 wheel drive. last time i let it sit for a bit and then drove it around and the noise was gone, but it is back again. does any one know what might cause this? All i replaced where the drive shaft bearing the chain and the filter on the bottom (might have been 1 or 2 other small things it was about 6 months ago i haven't been driving the jeep) pleas help this is extremely frustrating. if you need any other info let me know. the transfer case is NP231.

Edit: I also changed the shift fork and the shift sleeve thinking that was the problem because they where worn but still not fixed.

Last edited by zalgork; 08-05-2014 at 10:44 AM..
zalgork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
zalgork
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Any one?
zalgork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
rytomi

I don't have a lot of experience with an NP231 case, but building off my knowledge of other transfer case designs, it sounds to me like a bad bearing on the idler for the 4WD. While in 2WD mode, the gear (connected to the chain to the front output) spins freely on the direct drive output shaft. When switching to 4WD, it locks the gear onto the shaft so the front shaft spins the same as the rear. This makes the gear (and bearing) stop 'spinning' on the rear output shaft since it is now mechanically mated to it.

Like I said, I don't know the full inner-workings of an NP231 since I've never rebuilt one, but its the only thing that makes sense to me.

MJ, 2.5L, 5 speed, 4x4.
XJ, 2.8L, auto, 4x4
rytomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.