Transfer Case Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transfer Case Swap

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-15-2002, 10:45 AM   #1
BigMal13

Transfer Case Swap

Here's the story: I have an '89 XJ. The stock transfer case is a NP231. I bought a wrecked XJ and put the motor and tranny/transfer case in mine. It has a NP242, which I understand is better?

Anyway, the front seal on the tranny is now leaking and it slips sometimes. I was going to put the original transmission back in, but with the NP242. My question is how hard is it to swap the transfer case? Is there a gasket or just sealant? If there's a gasket, would Autozone/O'reily's carry it?

I also noticed that the wiring is different for each transfer case. the 231 has two electric plugs and a three-pronged vacuum plug. The 242 only has one electric plug. Will I have to do any rewiring or anything?

If anyone has done this swap or knows what I need to do, your help will be greatly appreciated. Peace

30x9.5 Firestone Firehawk RMT
Rusty's K&N
Custom Exhaust
BigMal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 12:27 PM   #2
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Re: Transfer Case Swap

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMal13
Here's the story: I have an '89 XJ. The stock transfer case is a NP231. I bought a wrecked XJ and put the motor and tranny/transfer case in mine. It has a NP242, which I understand is better?
The 242 is only "better" because it has a full-time option that you can engage for on-road use. Performance-wise, both transfer cases are the same for off-road in part-time 4-Hi or 4-Low.

Sorry I don't have any help to offer with the swap but I just wanted to mention that

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 12:55 PM   #3
BigMal13

Thanks for the info. I may just stick the 231 back in and save me some trouble.
30x9.5 Firestone Firehawk RMT
Rusty's K&N
Custom Exhaust
BigMal13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.