Transfer Case stuck, need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transfer Case stuck, need help

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
96JeepCherokeXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer Case stuck, need help

The jeep is a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Straight six with a NP231 Tcase. I just bought this jeep not to long ago so I am trying to get this thing up to par to keep for a long time as a hunting jeep. Anyway I knew when I bought the jeep that it had trouble coming out of 4hi back into 2wd. I got under the jeep and another just like in and realized that my jeep was missing a plate that holds one of the main pieces of the linkage. So I go to the junk yard and spend hours getting the part out of a 94 jeep just like mine with the same tcase and engine. So this weekend I remove the old linkages and put in the plate. I put new grommets on the linkages and made sure I put everything in the right way. Before I did all this I could get the Tcase to go into 4hi but not 4lo so I figured the linkages needed adjusted. But it wouldnít come out of 4hi and back into 2wd using the shifter. I had to get under the jeep and put it back into 2wd by hand. Now that I have the new plate in and everything were it should be it wonít come out of 4hi. So I discounted the main rod going back to the Tcase and tried to put it in 2wd by hand and it wonít move. I can get it in 4lo or 4hi but not 2wd. Itís like it hits a wall when trying to come forward to 2wd. When the linkages are not connected to the Tcase they all work like they should but when hooked up they wonít. So my jeeps tcase is stuck in 4wd. It will go from 4hi to 4lo but not 2wd. Can anyone help with this? Is the Tcase toast or could I have done something to cause this. Oh and yes I did try to put it in 2wd with it running. I also backed up the jeep 50 yards, that didnít work. I tried putting it in different gears while trying to switch to 2wd still with not luck. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work. Please Help

96JeepCherokeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sometimes a transfer case drop will make the linkage bind up some and make it difficult to shift into 2wd or 4lo. I have had luck removing the faceplate for the shifter (the one that says 2wd-4hi-N-4lo) and using a dremel tool to grind the metal shift gate a little more so that the shifter can go slightly further forward and get into 2wd.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
96JeepCherokeXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What did you mean "transfer case drop?
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When people lift Jeeps (especially 96+) they will either do a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) or put in a transfer case drop to reduce driveline vibrations. You can tell if there is a transfer case drop easily - the cross member that holds up the transfer case and transmission should sit flush with the frame rail. If there are spacers between the cross member and the frame rails, then you have a transfer case drop. Take a picture of the side of the frame rail and the cross member and we can easily tell what you are running.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
96JeepCherokeXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

This jeep is not lifted, its stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.