Transfer case rattles in 4H on "94 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transfer case rattles in 4H on "94 Cherokee

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
data89
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer case rattles in 4H on "94 Cherokee

When I put it in 4H all sorts of rattliing comes from the transfer case. After shifting it off, it will rattle for a mile or less then quit making noise, until I shift into 4wd again. Works though.
Also, I used to be able to pull the 4wd handle to 4L and had to hold it, but it worked. Now, it won't go into 4L.

A side note: a few months ago, all of a sudden the 4wd shift lever went loose-like and there was no engagement. I had a mechanic look at it and he said he adjusted it, and then the 4H worked again, but, not the 4L. Only Spanish is spoken where I am, so communication is tough as I only speak a little Spanish. All this guy does is work on transmissions and he's pretty good at that but I know he didn't take the transfer case apart, just adjusted something.

Anyhow, what could the rattling be caused by?

data89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
joec89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If the mechanic didn't take your transfer case apart then he adjusted the linkage from the lever to the transfer case. Your problem does sound like a linkage issue and I'd bet the noise you hear is a rattling sound because something in the linkage is most likely loose. Go under your Jeep where the shifter is located, it will be right above your transmission crossmember and see if anything is loose or out of the ordinary.
joec89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There's a good chance the bushings for the shift linkage are worn out. You can get a bushing kit from the dealership. Install parts and adjust transfer case linkage.

Search the forum for shift linkage and you should be able to find the answers you need. This comes up often.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
data89
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I'll check out those suggestions next cool day (you wouldn't believe how hot it gets here). Meanwhile I'll check out the shift linkage threads.
data89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.