Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transfer case linkage position help!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tiger02 
#1 ·
The other day it was a blizzard so I shifted from 4H to 4L to get unstuck. I can't remember ever using 4L and it was really hard to put it in position. When I got home I tried to put it back to 2H and noticed that something was wrong. I looked underneath and part of the linkage got bent because it was quite rusty. I was able to move it underneath with my hand to 2H, and verified this by hitting the gas quickly and only the back tires would spin. I believe I have the NV 242 (full time only) in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L automatic, but the ID tag is gone. My question is this: how do I know which position is 4H? Like I said right now I've got it in 2L, does lever inside the cabin correspond to the same number of clicks of the transfer case below? For example if I want to go from 2H to 4L, inside the cabin I would move 3 spots (2L>4H>N>4L). Does that also mean that if I reach underneath and move it 3 clicks that I will be in 4L (and therefore 1 click=4H)? I may need to drive in 4H tomorrow for work because of a storm.

#2 ·
Yes, each click of the mode lever on the transfer case is a different 4x4 mode. The modes change in order, as shown on your floor shifter. Using the mode lever on the transfer case, 2wd is forward/up, and 4 low is all the way down/back.

#4 ·
If your TC shift indicator only reads 2L>4H>N>4L then you most likely have a 231 and not a 242 unless someone has changed it out without changing out the bezel. You can confirm this if the shift link on the TC only has 4 positions. The 242 would have 5 positions total. The 231 is part time only where as the 242 allows for full time and part time choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.