Transfer Case Linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transfer Case Linkage

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer Case Linkage

My tcase shifter linkage system is messed up, and doesn't give me very good shifts to the transfer case so I'm going to replace it. Are there any aftermarket shifter linkages, or where can I get this part? Its the part where the linkage attaches to the body on the underside

FOR SALE-XJ Tail light housings corner lamps.
sktr021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Look up Novak shifters.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I did just come across Novak, little pricey though.You ever used them?

Would you recommend the cable system?

Unread 02-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If the Novak is too costly you can always repair the old linkage. I picked up a bushing kit from the dealer for about $25 and replaced them. Some grease and a linkage adjustment got mine working like new again.

Is the brass bushing messed up on yours or are you missing the entire bracket that attaches to the body?

Edit: I just realized you have a 1990 and it could be different than mine.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Um, I'm not positive which part it is. Oh I also have a 242, I'm not sure if it has the same linkage or not. I'll tank a picture tomorrow of which part is broken

Unread 02-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How hard is to repair the linkage? Mine is loose, not very crisp and I can hear transfer case noise through it.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Look here for a photo of my linkage and a brief description of my repair. I had pulled the carpet and was going to remove the bracket from the body, but realized that all you have to do it pry the linkage components out of the bushings to take it all apart.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/n...03/index2.html
Unread 02-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
Look here for a photo of my linkage and a brief description of my repair. I had pulled the carpet and was going to remove the bracket from the body, but realized that all you have to do it pry the linkage components out of the bushings to take it all apart.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/n...03/index2.html
I'm pretty sure its the brass one thats wore out...thanks for the help. I'm assuming it did indeed tighten it up quite a bit? Easier shifts?

Unread 02-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My brass bushing was real worn, but the shifting was not too bad. Shift's are smooth now.

Before the linkage repair, once in a while I would not be able to get it out of 4wd drive in the winter. Had to go forward and reverse several times before it would go back into 2wd. I still have to hit reverse sometimes to get it out of 4wd, but it comes out the first time every time, unlike before. I'm certain this has something to do with the transfer case or my shifting and not the linkage.
Unread 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I don't really have any problems shifting it just is loose...

Unread 02-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've got the very same issue on my 99 XJ with the AW4 and a 242. I did however have to do a T-case drop, and had to also install the included linkage drop bracket, which basically drops the pivot point of the armature. I cant get into 4lo without crawling under and undoing one of the bolts of the linkage drop bracket, so that the shift arm will clear. And its always a bi_ch to get back into 2WD. I was going to go the Novak cable shifter route too, but i would much rather try to rebuild or repair what I've got. I must say tho, I've been in an XJ with the cable shift and it is SOOOO buttery smoooth.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
I've got the very same issue on my 99 XJ with the AW4 and a 242. I did however have to do a T-case drop, and had to also install the included linkage drop bracket, which basically drops the pivot point of the armature. I cant get into 4lo without crawling under and undoing one of the bolts of the linkage drop bracket, so that the shift arm will clear. And its always a bi_ch to get back into 2WD. I was going to go the Novak cable shifter route too, but i would much rather try to rebuild or repair what I've got. I must say tho, I've been in an XJ with the cable shift and it is SOOOO buttery smoooth.
It looks really awesome and all but I'm not sure I can justify spending that much on a shifter.

Unread 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Novak makes their own version of the linkage style as well, for a little less in cost. Still kinda spendy tho ($157) http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2x.htm
I'd almost like to see if some of us cant get together and figure out what they did. Find a way to rebuild these or adopt some sort of our own design to fix some of these common issues. Then offer them to other Jeepers, or post the plans for all to share. Either way, i'd like to come sort of a solution for this that doesn't involve hundreds of dollars. Has anyone heard of anybody doing this? (making their own shifter linkage or cable shifter.)
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.