Transfer case issues... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transfer case issues...

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
hocgreen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer case issues...

OK, so I finally got around to asking a few questions. I am new to the forums and I have been trolling around for the last few days just to see the advice come and go.
First, here is my beast.

Can't see the tire carrier rear bumper, but it's there
She may not look like much, but I have had her since 20K and I refuse to give her up for anyone or anything.
now the real part. 3 inch lift (rough Country) full leaf packs 3.5" swapped out the 242 (it exploded) for the 231 (cheap) and now I have a lot of drive line vibes. I am pretty sure the t case drop on the 242 is what killed it.
Would I kill the 231 if I dropped it an inch?
What is the best way to eliminate the drive vibes?
I have replaced EVERYTHING in my truck on god knows how many ends. I just wanna go with 1 3/4 shackles and spacers to get it a little higher and not have to worry about killing it. I know the SYE and DS would be the best way, but I don't have $550 to throw around.
And Last but not least, would anyone happen to have spare linkage and handle from a 98 with a 231? I can't use 4 wheel til i get one, figured there might be someone with a junker out there?

Thanks for the help in advance, love the site. Thanks for reading

hocgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

You don't necessarily have to spend $500 on a SYE. A PORC SYE and a stock front driveshaft would work and get ride of the vibes.

Another alternative sinse you have a 99 (and I assume a 96+ NP231 swapped on) you could run the RE hack-n-tap, adapter, and stock front driveshaft.

Looking at around $250-350 depending on what setup you used.

Beyond theSYE, there is no fix. You may be able to get the vibes down a little by adding teh TC drop and 3-4* of shims in the rear. You need the shims for the SYE anyway.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
hocgreen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

well the leaf packs already came with the shims pre-installed... Don't ask me what angle because I have NO clue.
Would it be a horrible problem if I was to throw that little extra lift in there with a t case drop though? I want the extra height definitely... But I don't want it to be at the cost of the truck you know.
Yes the 231 is out of a 98.
A stock front drive shaft would work as a rear driveshaft for this scenario? Even if it was lifted 4-3/4" give or take
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you can't afford to put an SYE on it, you can't afford to run any more lift. Plain and simple.

You've got driveline issues that HAVE to be addressed if you want to go any higher, or heck, if you just want to stay at your current height and not screw anything else up.

Balloo's right on with his SYE recommendations.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
hocgreen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

very much appreciated... At least i have an absolute now. Thanks. Now all I have to do is save every penny til i can afford it
Unread 05-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocgreen View Post
A stock front drive shaft would work as a rear driveshaft for this scenario? Even if it was lifted 4-3/4" give or take
Yes, it shoudl be fine. You will need either SYE and the front shaft to work. The "cheapest/easiest" is the RE hack-n-tap. That should run approx $150 ($90 for the Hack-n-tap and $60 for the adapter).

That route involves you chopping the rear output shaft of the transfer case. You won't have to open up the case.

Check the Tech/FAQ sticky under the TRansfer case page and there are several write ups on that install.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.