transfer case chain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > transfer case chain

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
btltnk
1991 XJ Cherokee 

transfer case chain

Is it possible to replace the chain on a 242 with the t-case still on the jeep? This is on my 91 briarwood. Do you also have to buy the rebuild kit and replace all the seals and other things that come in it or can I just take it apart and only replace the chain?

btltnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
MJR

You could but you will have to take the front output gear (inside the case) off to do it. Usually just easier on a bench especially playing with the oil pump. You'll need a tube of RTV and at least the rear output seal.
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a photo tutorial that will get you to the chain. There's Youtube vids on changing the chain, which you will need to look up.

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...n-of-the-NV242

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Did mine last weekend and it wasn't as bad as I thought, left the case in the xj. You need the right snap ring pliers and a tube of rtv then the rear seal like already mentioned. Do you have a SYE? If so make sure you get the correct seal.
miceanic is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.