Transfer case breather broken? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transfer case breather broken?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
XJForrest
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer case breather broken?

I believe I have a broken transfercase breather. There has been a tube hanging down right next to my driveshaft and it has a small 90degree elbow on the end. It looks to be broken off right at the transfer case. I haven been able to find anybody elce with this problem. So could somebody tell me where the breather outlet is and how difficuly it may be to replace the tube. I will put pictures up if it is necessary

Last edited by XJForrest; 10-28-2012 at 09:39 PM..
XJForrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a pic of a NV242J with vent tube on the TC shown. The 231 and 249 are the same. OEM P/N 4338957.

If the vent tube is sheared off at the TC case you will have a problem reattaching it (actually NOT).

If the stub of the tube is still in the case you may be able to use an easy out to remove it and install a new tube (but difficult to do while the TC is installed).

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
XJForrest
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks that was helpful to see these pictures not just diagrams in books. I Think all that will need to be done is replace that vent fitting and I should be good to go!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.