Transfer Case??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transfer Case???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
brimik
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer Case???

When I turn in 4wd the front end binds and lurches. Changed the u joints and that didnít help and it only happens in 4wd. Do I have bad transfer case?
01 XJ NP231

brimik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
jetboy287
1993 ZJ 

What kind of surface are you trying to drive on? If it's a paved surface then that's normal and you'll end up messing something up if you keep doing it.
jetboy287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
brimik
2001 XJ Cherokee 

We had a snow storm two weeks ago and it still happen on snow covered roads. I have put 218k on Jeep and this issue has come about within the last month.
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

That's normal. 231 4wd is not made for uturns.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
brimik
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I realize sharp turns will cause a binding effect but Iím not able to turn from a main road onto a side street.
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimik View Post
Do I have bad transfer case?
If the 4x4 works normally on non-pavement surfaces, the T-case is fine.

I flip 4x4 on and off as needed when driving on pavement in snowy/icy conditions. When turning in 4x4 some binding of the front axle is to be expected.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.