Trans won't shift in to 3rd Gear when hot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Trans won't shift in to 3rd Gear when hot

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 03-13-2002, 12:35 PM   #1
chrism73

Trans won't shift in to 3rd Gear when hot

I have a 85' xj with 4 cylender And Auto Trans.
My problem is when I drive in town it is fine. But when I try to go out of town just 8mi. . When I stop after the drive and go agian it won't go in to 3er gear. But if I shut it off for about 10 min. It will go into 3rd gear. Like it is overheating can that be due to pluged trans. filter or something else..
thanks for all of the help that you can give

chrism73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2002, 02:42 PM   #2
Daren

Chris had a similar issue with a different Chrysler tranny in an Avenger. As much as it pains me to say my friend, the only thing that happened after that was the replacement of the entire thing. She left me stranded. Stupid thing was only three years old. How long has it been doing this?
Unread 03-13-2002, 04:06 PM   #3
chrism73

About 3 months it has a small trany. leak
So I'd put some stop leak in it every now and then. I was wondering if that stuff could have pluged the filter up
chrism73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:06 PM   #4
CB89XJ

If it was designed for Trannys it shouldn't clog it up. You may want to just look into flushing the tranny and filter change, or maybe a tranny cooler.

www.bmja.org
CB89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #5
84wagoneer

Sounds like your computer is putting the tranny into limp mode. Check your codes and see what is causing a problem. Sounds like a sensor is dead or going dead. My wifes van did this for several months until I isolated a bad wire that was shorting every now and then causing an error to the computer. Worth a look. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.