which trans line is the return line from the radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > which trans line is the return line from the radiator

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
XJMudder
1993 YJ Wrangler 

which trans line is the return line from the radiator

this sounds bad but i can't remeber which line is the return line ! is it the back line(further line) on the tranny that goes to the bottom of the radiator or does that one go to the top ? and the top line that comes out of the radiator hooks to the / goes to the front ( closes to front of jeep) trans. ? sorry must be old age kicking in !!!! not sure if i have them hooked up right but seems like since i put me new radiator in i have been smelling something hot plus the shifter seems to be hottor to , could it be i messed up the lines ? Thanks for any help here !

XJMudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The rear line is the return. On my junk, the return comes out of the top of the radiator, while the send line goes into the tranny cooler before heading off to the radiator. I don't know if that's the stock setup but it's how it is.
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
xjfan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Didn't want to post the same question again..

On my XJ the rear line goes to the top of the radiator and the front goes to the bottom of the radiator...

I understood that the line connected to the front of the transmission is suppose to go to the top of the radiator...

Hope someone could clear this up..

I've traces the lines many, many times and somthing seems wrong...

Thanks...

1999 XJ Sport, Black on Black, 4.0L

Follow build-up Cardomain XJfan Build Up
xjfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
xjfan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just left it with the same route. Pump side on the bottom, return side on top.

Eliminated the radiator all together. It's connected straight to the cooler, stand-alone.

Just weird everyone posting that the return line should be on the bottom of the radiator.. Even the FSM indicates the same...

When flushing the system, I disconnected the top hose, replaced it with a short piece. Then to an empty gallon jug. Just repeated until the old was out.

1999 XJ Sport, Black on Black, 4.0L

Follow build-up Cardomain XJfan Build Up
xjfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

On the late models, I know my 00 the return is the top one. When I did my cooler I changed it to the bottom, then to the cooler and back to tranny. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.