Trans Leak question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Trans Leak question

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Trans Leak question

So was scoping things out today and noticed a very small amount of fluid on the ground...by small I mean maybe the size of a half dollar. In the picture below I put arrows to where the oil was dripping from. It was forming right under the hole that looks like a bolt would go in...but isn't this hole suppose to be there? Also I noticed it right around the little gap...not sure if this picture will do it any justice. Is this an easy fix? I planned on going ahead and replacing the gasket on the trans pan too...is this a gasket as well or something else and does this just seem like a gasket issue causing it to leak?

uga84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

It's hard to tell with that pic, but I think we're looking at the front of the bell housing?

If so, that's a common place for oil to drip. Can you tell if it's engine or trans?

If it's engine, many folks will panic and tell you your RMS (Rear Main Seal) is gone. Well, maybe. Oil tends to run to that location and drip there, even from other places. It may be no big deal at all.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here is another picture. White arrow is the engine oil drain plug. Yellow arrow is pointed right where I saw the small drip forming...also to the right....there is a small gap that you can see better in the other picture where a leak was forming as well.

You can see the gap in the picture
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Can you get a trouble light up under it while taking your pics, that would help greatly..
I had oil all over the place and replacing the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing o-ring solved that.
The oil filter housing o-ring was the biggest pain in the *** ever..
landude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is where its leaking....Could this be the RMS? When I got this jeep I was told that this was replaced..

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/1469/dscf5870y.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/3080/dscf5866y.jpg
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bet it's leaking from higher up and finding it's way down there..
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are you are sure it's trans fluid? If it's trans fluid then it's most likely coming from the front input shaft seal. I had this problem back in November. Can be hard to tell if it's engine oil or trans fluid. I dropped the trans and replaced the $10 seal and now I'm just down to a RMS leak. I was also able to do all the other trans seals and u-joints while I was in there. My Cherokee (99) has 205k miles and the front transmission seal was toast. The other ones actully seemed pretty good, still pliable. The front one was brittle. I have already replaced the valve cover gasket and oil filter adapter o-rings. It leaks so little that I don't worry about it too much.
dzywicki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga84 View Post
This is where its leaking....Could this be the RMS? When I got this jeep I was told that this was replaced..
Judging from that it seems to be NOT leaking on to the oil pan...unless you had already wiped that clean and dry...I'd say it's NOT the RMS. Even so, if the PO said the RMS had been replaced, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzywicki View Post
If it's trans fluid then it's most likely coming from the front input shaft seal.
I would agree with this ^^^. Unfortunately the tranny will have to come out just to stick the seal in, a $10 part, behind the torque converter. Then if you're under there it might be prudent to replace the RMS anyway.

BTW the bolt hole at the bottom of the bell housing is just there to hold on the inspection plate/dust cover.

Unread 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks gents...When I get off work going to clean everything up and see if I can find the culprit. Not 100 percent it's the trans leaking..but was my first guess. I am also colorblind..Red brown green..no clue what color it is..will ask my wife
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga84 View Post
I am also colorblind..Red brown green..no clue what color it is..will ask my wife

That's wise. Remember what that famous philosopher, Harry Calahan, said:

"A good man knows his limitations."

My boys are all colorblind. Not fun, but it is what it is. You have to adjust, and asking for help is no shame.

BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So should I ask the wife to just fix the jeep for me then? Haha...that would be nice...
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

If you can do THAT...I want your address!!!
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If it's the RMS, then it will mostlikely be a much slower leak than the trans seal. When my trans seal was leaking, I lost fluid pretty quickly. I had to add 1/2 quart once a week. With the RMS leak, I can 6 months without significant oil loss (as checked on the dipstick). You may want to stick a white piece of paper under the spot after you stop. Will probably be easier to tell if it's red or black that way (vs. a finger smear off the ground).
dzywicki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzywicki View Post
If it's the RMS, then it will mostlikely be a much slower leak than the trans seal. When my trans seal was leaking, I lost fluid pretty quickly. I had to add 1/2 quart once a week. With the RMS leak, I can 6 months without significant oil loss (as checked on the dipstick). You may want to stick a white piece of paper under the spot after you stop. Will probably be easier to tell if it's red or black that way (vs. a finger smear off the ground).
I Will give that a shot. Also its obvious that the oil pan gasket is brand new...so I cant imagine the guy that said he replaced the rear main seal only dropping the oil pan just to replace the oil pan gasket. Unless he was under the impression that the oil pan gasket was the rear main seal...I would like to give him more credit then that as he did seem competent. He also said it took him about 5 hours to do it. It is a slow leak because this is the first time I noticed it and I always check...in a 24 hour time period it probably leaked a tablespoon worth of fluid. Not super worried about it...but would like to take care of it now before it becomes a bigger issue. Going to try and see if the fluid is in fact red .....that's where my wife comes in. Also I recently replaced the valve cover gasket as well. Will update tomorrow...and thanks for all the help...this site is the __________!!
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't rule out the oil filter adapter o-ring.
Did mine last weekend, it sucked. The sides where the adapter joins to the block were completely flat.
It eliminated all the oil under my XJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.