Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tranny issues 97 jeep cherokee Sport, Clunking when going into drive and reverse

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Cachee0 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just got my self my first jeep.

Love it!!! Never had a SUV before but I wanted a large truck go anyware type of car and I think I'm hooked and will pick up another one when this one dies. I also owen a 2003 Lancer Evolution as a toy for weekend enjoyment.

Now I have one issue on the car I don't quite know how to address. When -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=ing the Auto Tranny from Park to Drive it clunks or hits hard. Also happens when going into reverse. I called up a body of mine that has some experince with all diffrent cars and he suggested I look at the tranny mount to see if it's on tight. He also suggested that I play with the drive shaft and make sure it does not shake to much.

The car has 138,000 miles on it and drives great expect for this Chuncking feeling when going into drive and reverse.

Anything else I should look for???

Thank you everyone for your assistense.

My Best
Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
Check out a search on this but here is what I have discovered:

1. check U-joints
2. mOst likely the slip yolk that needs greased.

my 98 with 80k miles does it along with 90% of the XJ's I drove before we got this one.

T

#3 ·
Boris T said:
Check out a search on this but here is what I have discovered:

1. check U-joints
2. mOst likely the slip yolk that needs greased.

my 98 with 80k miles does it along with 90% of the XJ's I drove before we got this one.

T
Boris T, Thank you for your response.

Checked U-Joints and Yolk. Tighted Tranny mounts and seems to be much better. Tranny shifts great now. Still a bit hard but it's getting smoother. I think the car must have not moved for a while because driving it the last few days has made it feel alot better.

#4 ·
Cachee0 said:
Boris T, Thank you for your response.

Checked U-Joints and Yolk. Tighted Tranny mounts and seems to be much better. Tranny shifts great now. Still a bit hard but it's getting smoother. I think the car must have not moved for a while because driving it the last few days has made it feel alot better.
No problem.. I am an XJ newbie too...... got the 98 in april. My clunk comes and goes.... I really need to remove the s/y and grease it but my current class load and the Mrs driving it all over prevents me from tinkering with it.

Travis :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Boris T said:
No problem.. I am an XJ newbie too...... got the 98 in april. My clunk comes and goes.... I really need to remove the s/y and grease it but my current class load and the Mrs driving it all over prevents me from tinkering with it.

Travis :thumbsup:
I here that!!! When I got the car it was a 1/2 qt low of ATF. I think that and the fact that I tightened the tranny mount has greatly helped. I'm going to try to take down the yok this weekend to grease it and shift it around. But I have to work on my other car first. I need more power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.