???tranny and diff. fluids???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > ???tranny and diff. fluids????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
homo4jeeps

???tranny and diff. fluids????

what is best fluid brand to use in a auto tranny and also the front and rear diffs thanks

homo4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
hocgreen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I use Lucas .... Never had a problem with the trans or diff fluid.
Sealed up a sweat problem I had with the tranny too
hocgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
homo4jeeps

im not having problems just wanting to know whats good and whats not cause i just bought a jeep and dont really know much about them
Unread 05-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just purchase brand name fluids and you will be fine. ALL Cherokee automatic transmissions use Dexron/Mercon transmission fluid. If your read differential has a Limited SLip you will need to add some Friction Modifier to the gear oil.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
homo4jeeps

cool thanks guys
Unread 05-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
okjeeper
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I use Valvoline high mileage tranny fluid and standard 75w-90w in the diffs. My tranny was shifting a little hard for my liking when I got it and drained it and put in the Valvaline high mileage and it shifts smoother now. I think the main thing is use the right fluids and good quality fluids.
okjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
homo4jeeps

yea im just trying to find out whats good and whats bad
Unread 05-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Use a good "synthetic" for the diff's (not trying to start a war) along with a little Lucas.....http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

My rear differential would sometimes clunk into gear and now with the synthetic and lucas the noise is gone.....

my .02

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
dbxtr3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I thought you were suppose to put ATF 4+ in the automatic transmissions it is formulated for Chrysler vehicles and transmissions.
dbxtr3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
hocgreen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

well that is what I hear from Jeep. But I also hear they put some sort of additive in there as well. I just don't know exactly what.

Along with a couple of other problems I had, I used Lucas in my old T-case... oddly enough at the same time, My case exploded sending something (still don't know what) through the top of the case and forcing me to tow home after 226 miles and being 6 away from home... Bad day
hocgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #11
homo4jeeps

thank fellas bump
Unread 05-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #12
TreddyoXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Someone else already said to use brand name fluids, which is good advice. Having your own brand name tranny fluid put in will cost you if you can find a place to do it (assuming you're up for replacing all of your tranny fluid at once and not just doing the drain and fill method). For the tranny, just take it to a decent quick lube or shop you trust and make sure they don't use some black barrel tranny fluid. Make sure is Dextron/Mercon III! Lucas fluids are fine (gear lube, tranny, oil, whatever), but their additives just cover up problems.
SOLD: 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country w/D44, D30 w/ Aussie locker, Edge Trail Jammer System, 4.5" Rough Country lift, Zacatal Roof Rack, T&T front bumper, all lower body/bumpers/trim are Herculined, 31x10.5 MT Baja Claws, Warn 9.5ti. Ephesians 6:10-18

I HATE when people hijack threads. PM!
TreddyoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreddyoXJ View Post
Lucas fluids are fine (gear lube, tranny, oil, whatever), but their additives just cover up problems.
If you referign tousing Lucas as a gear oil its great. Or adding it to another gear oil its utilized as a stabilizer.

Not sure what exactly you are refering to?

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
TreddyoXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajeep View Post
If you referign tousing Lucas as a gear oil its great. Or adding it to another gear oil its utilized as a stabilizer.

Not sure what exactly you are refering to?
Their synthetic motor oils, gear oils, and other fluids are top notch stuff.

Their "oil stabilizer" or "transmission stop-slip" literally are an ultra high viscosity motor oil with a gasket softening compound to slow leaks and cover up issues and an ultra high viscosity transmission fluid. Nothing else. They cover up issues effectively, which makes them popular. If you have one of those motors of transmissions that needs heavier, higher viscosity fluids to hold it together, then they're great. Lucas' engine oil stabilizer inside of your gearboxes is WAAAY too high viscosity to use. If your gears are whining it'll probably shut them up, but the stuff is like molasses. I'd never use that stuff straight up as gear oil. It takes a solid 45 seconds to one minute to pour out a quart bottle.
SOLD: 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country w/D44, D30 w/ Aussie locker, Edge Trail Jammer System, 4.5" Rough Country lift, Zacatal Roof Rack, T&T front bumper, all lower body/bumpers/trim are Herculined, 31x10.5 MT Baja Claws, Warn 9.5ti. Ephesians 6:10-18

I HATE when people hijack threads. PM!
TreddyoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I use a 25-50% mix which has served me well so far.....I am not the type to cover up issues.....(you can refer to some diesel site that I am part of to verify that lol)

I only use it in my diff as a stabilizer not a magic cure all.....I am in agreement with you though....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.