tranny: to cool or not to cool? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > tranny: to cool or not to cool?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
roadhog

tranny: to cool or not to cool?

I've got a question which I'm sure is simple for many of you out there. I'm trying to decide if and how I should install an auxilliary trans cooler. Here's my situation.

I've got a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport, auto trans, 4.0L in-line 6, 58k miles. It does *not* have the factory tow package, just an aftermarket hitch I recently had put on. I've never towed before, but now have a need to tow fairly regularly (pop-up camper). The trailer, even when packed to max gross weight, is only 2300 pounds or so. I know I've got plenty of power, but I'm nervous about long term wear to the tranny. So I'm thinking I should definitely install an auxilliary cooler, for peace of mind if nothing else. Do you agree?

So, assuming you do, I'm curious if this is something I could realistically do myself. I'm not the best wrench when it comes to autos, but I'm also no idiot mechanically, and I do have the time and sort of enjoy "messing around" as long as I don't break stuff. Ironically, I'm a military helicopter pilot and can teach long classes on how the various complex systems on my multi-engine, multi-transmission aircraft work, but I know little about vehicles.

So, would this install be something that is probably "over my head" or is it pretty easy?

Thanks!

roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
johnsoninc86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Overall, this is a really easy modification, and YES i think you should do it. 2300 pounds is no weight to mess around with, especially with an XJ. I would say that if you can change your oil and give it a tune up, you should be able to do this modification without trouble. There are a quite a few writeups out there, go over to jeepin.com, he has a write up on there about his tranny cooler install.
Unread 04-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
law.74

Tranny coolers are great for any towing and those that wheel in the hotter parts of the world. the instal is really not difficult at all.

BTW, welcome
law.74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dooo eeet. Heat is the only thing that will kill an AW4.

Last edited by Matt Gertsch; 04-11-2006 at 12:05 PM..
Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
roadhog

great. thanks for the quick replies. I suspected this is not an overly difficult mod. I think I'll just do it myself. thanks for the link to jeepin.com as well.

cheers
Unread 04-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

www.summitracing.com You'll want the B&M Super Cooler like Jason used.
Unread 04-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
roadhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
www.summitracing.com You'll want the B&M Super Cooler like Jason used.
in fact I just ordered the B&M kit from JEG's based on Jason's recommendation.

So, here goes nuthin'...
Unread 04-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
98_classic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

just out of curiosity how do you know if your tranny already has a cooler on it. my 98 classic has a mopar hitch on it, so im asuming it came from the factory with it on. if it came with a hitch does that mean that it also has the cooler?
98_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Grumman

It would look like a small/mini radiator that is mounted in front of the regular radiator.

http://www.technicalgarage.com/archi...l/DSCF0003.JPG
Grumman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
98_classic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

wait if its in front of the radiator how does it cool the tranny? (sorry im new at this)
98_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Grumman

External Transmission coolers work like a radiator for the tranny. they are connected to the transmisssion via hoses and they cool the transmission fluid so that it does not get too hot and break down.

Heat is the Enemy of ANY automatic tranny and is what usually causes most automatic transmission problems.

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page02.html
Grumman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.