Trailer wiring harness on the back of - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Trailer wiring harness on the back of

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
maachuu
2000 WJ 

Trailer wiring harness on the back of

my 95 jeep cherokee country wouldnt work properly when connected to 4 pin connector for my boat ( turn signals worked, no tailights) pull the 7 way connector out of bumper and was trying to pull apart and check, well it was so corroded that I couldnt save to connector and it was so bad that when I got into it, it just fell apart. I have a new connector but cant seem to get it connected up right to work with my 4 pin. I have been able to get turn signals to work. I did see that when the plug came apart the green brown stripe wire was in the ground screw. As mentioned, this is a 7 way connector and I want to use a 4 pin connector (which I have the adapter for this). I dont have brakes on my trailer or reverse lights. tailights, brake and turn signal is all I have. Im sure the connector coming from the back of the jeep is some type of T connector but I dont know the wiring diagram for it

any and all help greatl appreciated

maachuu

maachuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Colors are available on this page:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

You can't just wire the plug into the stock Cherokee wiring harness.
You need to combine the stop & left turn, and stop and right turn, but you can't just wire them, you need a box made for it.
It's because the Cherokee tail light has seperate stop and turn lamps, and the trailer uses the same lamp for both.
This piece is what you're missing:

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just get a plug and play T style connector. Unclip the tailight wire harness, clip the T connector in, and you're done.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
maachuu
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1.8t View Post
Colors are available on this page:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

You can't just wire the plug into the stock Cherokee wiring harness.
You need to combine the stop & left turn, and stop and right turn, but you can't just wire them, you need a box made for it.
It's because the Cherokee tail light has seperate stop and turn lamps, and the trailer uses the same lamp for both.
This piece is what you're missing:

I feel like it already has the part for combining of the wires, just cant figure out how to wire the 7 way back in

thanks
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you can't figure it out, then your other option is to buy a new trailer light adapter specifically for your 95 Cherokee.

Take off the trim panel behind the spare tire, unplug the defective 7-wire connector, plug in the new 4 wire connector with combiner/adapter, and put the panel back on. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

hoppy.jpg

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
maachuu
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
If you can't figure it out, then your other option is to buy a new trailer light adapter specifically for your 95 Cherokee.

Take off the trim panel behind the spare tire, unplug the defective 7-wire connector, plug in the new 4 wire connector with combiner/adapter, and put the panel back on. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Thanks Tim, looks like that is what I may have to do
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
maachuu
2000 WJ 

Tim, ben1 check these 2 out and tell me which one you think it would be, also why such a price difference ??

http://owensclassicinternational.com/hy42455-2.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...cleid=19957433

thanks guys, I do appreciate it

Larry
Unread 02-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

etrailer.com has a good reputation, I would get the part from them. The other place looks like they deal in surplus stuff. You can Google either part number listed and confirm the application and check the prices.

Unread 02-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I got my drawbar from etrailer too. Really, they look like the same part though. Etrailer has the best prices on the 2" reciever, maybe they need to makeup profit on the little stuff like that.

From what you're saying though, you don't need that. You just need to tie these wires in:
green: right turn
yellow: left turn
white: ground
brown: tail lights

so if your turns are working, and your brown is on a ground screw, I think that ground screw is the problem. I'd mess around with it a little more before buying anything...
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
maachuu
2000 WJ 

thanks ben1

maachuu
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
maachuu
2000 WJ 

ok, got my new T connector for my model of jeep, after pulling the side panel and after thinking about it, I believe the previous owner said this jeep had the towing package. I found the connector coming out of the tail light and unplugged it and plugged the T connector in and nothing, I did notice that the connector coming out of the tail light appears the have addtional wires coming out of it to another connector, I believe it is probably the electric brakes and maybe a reverse light. Not sure how to connect the new connector up in order to make it work.anyone got any ideas ??

thanks
maachuu
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
hubs97xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

From the instructions:

1. Open rear door of vehicle.
Temporarily remove spare tire and
rear quarter panel trim located on
driver's side (Fig. 1).
2. Locate vehicle's tail light wiring
harness with black rectangular
connectors matching the ends of
the T-connector adapter (Fig. 2).
Separate the harness connectors,
being careful not to break the locking
tabs.
3. Insert the T-connector adapter
between the harness connectors and
lock into place. Be sure that connectors
are fully inserted with locking
tabs in place.
4. Reattach the rear quarter panel
trim and spare tire to their proper
positions.
5. Test the installation with a test
light or trailer.
This unit is rated for 4 amps per
circuit.
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
maachuu
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs97xj View Post
From the instructions:

1. Open rear door of vehicle.
Temporarily remove spare tire and
rear quarter panel trim located on
driver's side (Fig. 1).
2. Locate vehicle's tail light wiring
harness with black rectangular
connectors matching the ends of
the T-connector adapter (Fig. 2).
Separate the harness connectors,
being careful not to break the locking
tabs.
3. Insert the T-connector adapter
between the harness connectors and
lock into place. Be sure that connectors
are fully inserted with locking
tabs in place.
4. Reattach the rear quarter panel
trim and spare tire to their proper
positions.
5. Test the installation with a test
light or trailer.
This unit is rated for 4 amps per
circuit.
thanks Hub, did that and had no turn signals or nothing, but it got dark on me , I will try again when I have more time

thanks for the write up tho

maachuu
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
hubs97xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

When you unplugged the taillight harness connection to plug the T in, you plugged both of the stock connectors into the T, right?
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
maachuu
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs97xj View Post
When you unplugged the taillight harness connection to plug the T in, you plugged both of the stock connectors into the T, right?
been thinkin bout that, will have to check tomorrow, I do know that I had turn signal on the jeep but just not out the 4 pin connector, I will check more to more when I have more time

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.