Trailer Hitch Mount Ripped Off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Trailer Hitch Mount Ripped Off

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
cja1987

Trailer Hitch Mount Ripped Off

So my one casualty from this recent 28" blizzard we had here in the northeast was my trailer hitch mount. I was trying to yank another truck out of a snowbank when it ripped right through the rearmost attaching point in the unibody rail and the one hole in the weaker metal behind the bumper.

See picture and arrows.

What would you guys suggest doing? Somehow the 3rd bolt hole for the hitch further forward in the unibody rail is still intact eventhough the bolt itself shows no signs of damage. No obvious escape path for the thing. Need to look closer at that.

The picture shows the drivers side rear "frame" rail. The hitch mounting plate is still attached to the passenger side rail, the rest of the hitch mount broke completely off that mounting plate.

I want a new trailer hitch ASAP and plan to install that myself. How do I get these holes usable again? How "big" (ie expensive) a job would this be for a typical shop/welder to weld? Could the repair possibly be as strong as or stronger than stock?

I've got a plow on my XJ and otherwise, everything went smooth as can be. It was too dangerous to be on the roads during the storm so I gave up trying to keep my 20 driveways clear overnight. Ended up literally plowing between 20"-30" with higher drifts all at once with the XJ. Slow going, must take small bites but you get there eventually if you are smart about it. Never got stuck to the point that I needed a yank, the few times I got hung up, I was able to rock out once in 4LO.

Thanks for any ideas!

2013-02-13_20-48-33_918.jpg   dscn1046.jpg  
cja1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

gotta sandwich plate that frame. I would bring it to Donovon spring. They can do it pretty quick, not far from you really.

http://www.donovancompany.com/
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
cja1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremzj View Post
gotta sandwich plate that frame. I would bring it to Donovon spring. They can do it pretty quick, not far from you really.

http://www.donovancompany.com/
Nice, Thanks, I will look into them. Do you know they do good work?

NH is my second home, I'm up there all the time so yes, getting there is no problem at all.
cja1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

they do awesome work.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.