Trailer hitch bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Trailer hitch bolts

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
Milemaker13
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Trailer hitch bolts

I need to find bolts to attach my hitch to the frame. It only the light duty class1 reciever, but I still want it solid. Obviously I need carrage bolts so they will not spin in the slotted holes in the frame. What grade bolts do you think I need? Thanks!

Milemaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
XJ2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Grade 8 are usually the best option.

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" RE SF, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Pavement Pounder: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
XJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Grand Fan 4eva

just something to consider, i got my class III hitch for free off a junked xj...

'97 XJ ~5" / 33 trxus / RK 3-link / FOA 12" CO's
'00 XJ Stock DD
'68 M715
'98 5.9 Limited
Grand Fan 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Milemaker13
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I got the class 1 off a junker too. But its what I have at the moment and it will do for now. When I find a class 3 that I can grab, the swap won't be tuff at all (as long as it isn't 5 yrs. from now!).
Milemaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
GhostSSX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Don't forget you need those sqaure washers with the square hole for the carriabge bolts that slide in the frame!

1996 Green XJ Sport - Current Beater
GhostSSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
sweenepj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostSSX
Don't forget you need those sqaure washers with the square hole for the carriabge bolts that slide in the frame!
Actually on the newer xj's I think the hitch bolts up into the frame in pre-tapped holes so you don't have to mess with threading those carriage bolts through the frame and the square plates. It's been a couple years since I put my hitch on my 99 xj, but I believe that's true... I know it was much easier than doing it on my 88 :-)
sweenepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Grand Fan 4eva

the factory nut strip is already installed on the passenger side of the 97+ xj's to hold the exhaust. the bolts are metric and from what i understand, automotive metric is stronger than grade 8 but don't quote me on that. the problem is that the nuts can rust out if there haven't been any bolts in them. when i did my hitch, i bought new nutstrips for each side from the dealer for 25. figured i got the hitch for free and the skid for 30 so it was still dirt cheap. made things super easy and definitely solid. wrestling the hitch and skid into place by myself was enough crap, i didn't want to mess with fishing bolts through although it probably wouldn't have been much more difficult. i just liked the idea of the strips, it's not going anywhere.
heres my class III install with a mini write-up:

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406483

'97 XJ ~5" / 33 trxus / RK 3-link / FOA 12" CO's
'00 XJ Stock DD
'68 M715
'98 5.9 Limited
Grand Fan 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.