Track Bar Relocation Mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Track Bar Relocation Mod

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Baksidar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Track Bar Relocation Mod

Ok so after much research into my forthcoming 4" lift,

I've decided to reuse the stock track bar but redrilling the mount 3/4 " inboard and upwards slightly as shown below

I will centralise the axle by having someone turn the steering wheel (with track bar disconnected) whilst i take measurements.

I then realised that the track bar will limit axle droop because contact will be made at point X as shown below !

So taking the dremel cut along the yellow line up and over the bracket as outlined.

Taking care to only trim the front and top of the bracket and leaving the bracket behind the track bar untouched ,it should now look like this.

The new edge of the original bracket is shown in yellow.

You can now see that the point of contact has shifted from point X to point Y

Much more clearance and best of all ITS FREE

Can anyone see any downsides to this mod ?

Unread 07-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
bobfortier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No downside I can think of. Which reminds me to go check my bracket to see if there is any contact...

edit. Thinking of it, I don't see how there can be contact, since the trackbar stays in the same plane as the axle tube when that side drops. And when the other side drops in is also not moving a lot. (someone correct me if I'm wrong...)
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The stock trac-bar is still gonna limit your flex, on the frame side the tierod end will only travel so far and then it will bind. At stock height it is sufficient enough, but at the new height it is already pulled toward the end of it's range. It will work the way you have it, but it will limit flex.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
justanotherjpr

It wont drive as well or flex as well as it could with a good after market bar, but it will work.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Baksidar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfortier View Post
No downside I can think of. Which reminds me to go check my bracket to see if there is any contact...

edit. Thinking of it, I don't see how there can be contact, since the trackbar stays in the same plane as the axle tube when that side drops. And when the other side drops in is also not moving a lot. (someone correct me if I'm wrong...)
I was thinking more of when the whole axle drops (as happens when you install longer springs) not just one side.
Unread 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

While it's a great budget mod, you aren't helping your flex.

Most aftermarket track bars have some type of high angle joint at the frame, allowing more articulation.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
Baksidar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah thats exactly what i'm saying its a great budget mod for upto 4" - 5" lift.

But are there any downsides apart from saving money
Unread 07-25-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am using the stock track bar with 4" of lift and even when I lower the axle untill it is hanging by the shocks the trackbar can still be unbolted from the axle and lowered a further 1½"-2" so it is still not at the limit but not far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
Baksidar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Oi Sprinty get your butt back to difflock

Only joking mate

When you've got your axle hanging by the shocks, how much clearance have you got between the track rod and the original bracket as shown at point X in the second photo ?

Did you redrill your bracket ?

Oh and whats the weather doing up in Ashton cos i've got family in Hyde and thats only 50 mins from me in Cheshire.
Unread 07-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baksidar View Post
Oi Sprinty get your butt back to difflock

Only joking mate

When you've got your axle hanging by the shocks, how much clearance have you got between the track rod and the original bracket as shown at point X in the second photo ?

Did you redrill your bracket ?

Oh and whats the weather doing up in Ashton cos i've got family in Hyde and thats only 50 mins from me in Cheshire.
Yes, I have redrilled the bracket (actually done it about four or five times as I have been through a few front axles but that is another story!) but I have no idea how much clearance there is. Lets just say it is enough as I can get the track bar bolt out and back in again when the axle is at maximum drop.

Is your vehicle a left hand drive or have you flipped the photo so our American cousins don't get confused?

The weather in Ashton has been great today which is a big help as I have all the Jeep windows open to let the carpets dry after a little dip in the fine Tong water last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #11
Baksidar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintagogo View Post
Is your vehicle a left hand drive or have you flipped the photo so our American cousins don't get confused?
Well spotted sir.

The photos are of a lefty as i didn't want any confusion and mines a righty

If you look again at the first photo,in the bottom right is the date,if the photo was flipped then the date would also be flipped

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.