Trac-Lok identification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Trac-Lok identification

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-17-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
quafiediff

Trac-Lok identification

In my local junkyard there is an 86 wagoneer that I belive has a factory Trac-lok rear axle. I want to know for sure if it is so i can put it in my 87 Cherokee. Can anybody tell me a good way to check without taking it apart? Also, how well do these work, would it be worth it and does it bolt right up?

'71 Karmann Ghia convertible. 1915 cc,
128 hp @5800rpm, 28 MPG

'73 VW Super Beetle, bone stock.
quafiediff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
cherokeevince12

Mine has a positrack and there is a sticker in the glove department, a silver warning sticker that informs the owner the car has posictrac.
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Chip S.

You don't need to take the whole thing apart, just pull the cover and look for some little clutch disks on either side of the carrier. I wouldn't trust the stickers or tags, the carrier may not be the original.
89 XJ Bored .040 over, ported, port-matched header, high-flow cat-back, 3"lift, MSD 6A, blaster coil, 4 wheel disks, relocated IAC sensor to K&N tube, triple core rad, NP231, AW4, PORC SYE, 225K mi Original owner.

86 Ford F-150 4x4 300 bored .040 over, decked and head milled .010, ported and port matched Clifford header, Comp RV cam, Offenhauser DP manifold, Holley 4160 600cfm, MSD Blaster coil, 2.5" exhaust out the side, BFG 31's.

My other Cherokee is an airplane
Chip S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Aquit45
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Just turn one side of the axle and if it turns the same way on the other side its the trac lock.
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Trac Loc is a limited slip differential. It works better than an open diff, but not as good as a locker. The clutches wear out, but they can be rebuilt. If you don't need a replacement for your current axle go with a Lock Right or Aussie Locker. Most, if not all, XJ axles will exchange from year to year.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.