trac bar bolt size? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > trac bar bolt size?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window Regulator

Unread 03-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
mason_msw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

trac bar bolt size?

Today I was driving and a little BMW pulled out in front of me , when I swerved around my trac bar bolt sheared at the axle... and yes I tried searching but I came across a bunch of threads about aftermarket trac bar mounting brackets etc etc. So with that said if anyone knows what size bolt I should get I would greatly appreciate it, if not no biggie I will just go buy an assortment of grade 8's from Ace tomorrow and find what fits. I gotta say though that was a scary ride, and steering the Jeep by pulling the tires left and right by hand is pretty damn hard (In order to steer it to the nearest parking lot). I was on the busiest street right by our campus and it was about five... bad timing. On top of that I was about to be forced to pay for a tow truck by the local police because they wanted it out of the road IMMEDIATELY, luckily a few friendly civilians stopped and helped out and I wasn't left with a big towing bill.

mason_msw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
crumb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its a 5/8-18 x 4 grade 8 bolt. The nut is special too. Its a top lock grade c.
Heres a pic:

EDIT: Wow. i was way off. I need to read the whole post.
crumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
alwaysready
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ya thats not right...
the bolt that holds the trackbar to the front axle bracket is
1. metric.
2 a hair bigger than 3/8's as i rember since i redrilled my trackbar bracket.
3 it is grade 10.8 which is top of the line of grades there in metric.

so go to the dealer and get one.
you can get one at the part store but i doublt youll find the same high grade..
i stripped mine thats how i know, i backed it out with an impact and the axle weight was on it slightly took all the threads right off.
dont use a 3/8" either since that will leave slop in the joint which could give you Death wobble
Warn Winch bumper
Smittybuilt Winch
Aj's Super Rock Rails
Black XJ on Moabs Club Member #1 :D
alwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
mason_msw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cool, I appreciate it. Definitely want a perfect fit as I would hate to have this happen again. I can only imagine how this would have turned out if I had been on the Highway doing 70....
Unread 03-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
alwaysready
2000 XJ Cherokee 

agreed, suprising yours is a 99. i figured an 87 with a bunch of rust alot of miles.
maybe it met a curb or 2 in the past and stressed it..
Warn Winch bumper
Smittybuilt Winch
Aj's Super Rock Rails
Unread 03-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
mason_msw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm actually a bit suspicious that the original owner used the wrong size and or grade of bolt. I had noticed it seemed a little small, but never paid much attention to it. Thats the last time I ignore something as vital as that.
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

what tracbar are you running?

i know the rockkrawler trackbar uses a dookin bolt at the axle end and the stock one is 10mm (only asked because your sig says rockkrawler longarm)
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
mason_msw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ah, I did not realize it used a different bolt. The bushing size was the same from my stock to my RK one, so I assumed I reused the stock bolt. I purchased the kit from a guy who bought it and never installed it so I didn't have instructions. It seems I would be at fault for this then.
Unread 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Stock bolt is a hex head M10, 1.5 thread, Class 10.9 (not 10.8), 60mm or 70 mm length.. don't recall the length 100%, but the rest of correct. And get a class 10 nut to go with it. Last time I needed one Lowes had the bolt, Autozone had the nut. Both the nut and bolt should be a flange head. If not use a hardened washer.. 3/8" should work for the washer
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Thayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXJ View Post
Stock bolt is a hex head M10, 1.5 thread, Class 10.9 (not 10.8), 60mm or 70 mm length.. don't recall the length 100%, but the rest of correct.
That's what I remember too. I ended up having to buy a whole bag of these, so let me know if you need one.
[SIZE=1]1997 Cherokee Sport NAXJA #1255
RK 4.5" LA Kit
[/SIZE]
Thayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
alwaysready
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXJ View Post
Stock bolt is a hex head M10, 1.5 thread, Class 10.9 (not 10.8), 60mm or 70 mm length..
Thakns for getting the details out there for him
Warn Winch bumper
Smittybuilt Winch
Aj's Super Rock Rails
Unread 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
tmwoodall
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I had a bolt I there in temporarily to hold it in place and knowing that it was supposed to be metric I went to ace and searched around a bit. I ended up with a 10.9, 1.5 thread, 60mm long bolt. The 60mm was really close but it caught the locking part of the nut so I'm satisfied. This bolt was definitely bigger than the one that was on the trac bar when I got it... don't know what that guy was thinking. I guess I can't say much seeing as how I left it though. Anyhow thanks again guys!
tmwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysready View Post
Thakns for getting the details out there for him
The only reason I know is because I replaced a few control arm bolts and found that they were the same thread pitch, metric size and class as the trac bar bolt (had that out to move the axle), the only difference was the length.
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
miguelitojeep97

hey guys does anyone know if this bolt is the same size for a TJ? The rack bar bolt(axle end) is loose, but has the damn torx bit on it that is just waiting to get rounded out. I would love to replace and make it easier to tighten. Any help would be great! thanks
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
miguelitojeep97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
That's what I remember too. I ended up having to buy a whole bag of these, so let me know if you need one.
I am getting desperate guys. I have done my homework and searched, this thread came up. I have been to: Home Depot, Pep Boys, Off-road Warehouse, Napa and Ace hardware and have still come up short.

Anyone know where I can just order these damn bolts and nuts?
or find them in some secret shop I am missing in San Diego Ca?
thanks

-Mike

*edit found a web site, but would be around $20 to ship. If anyone knows where a place is in San Diego that would have this please chime in. thanks
http://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.