JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   trac bar (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/trac-bar-1706130/)

xj89can 10-21-2013 04:22 AM

trac bar

sooo ive been browsing jeep forums and heard about trac bar removal mod.
tried it..........
and had first hand full blown death wobble in fwd and rev.
im riding stock height and got crunching sounds on potholes , curb cuts and turning tires sharp.
theres way more slop in my stearing responce.

i know theres arguments on this topic being good / bad but unless i missed something before i did the mod or my 89 is to worn out to keep itself together for this mod im going to say im putting mine back in.

pls feel free to set me straight. but i know i wouldnt want DW in traffic. yikes...

MilMJ11 10-21-2013 04:24 AM

Haha. Please tell me this is a joke, right?

xj89can 10-21-2013 04:41 AM

no , what part?

xj89can 10-21-2013 04:42 AM

have i been stooped? or miss understood?

xj89can 10-21-2013 05:14 AM

pls clairify why im being laughed at

the_weirdo 10-21-2013 05:35 AM

The track bar is the bar that holds your axle side-to-side under your Jeep. Without it you are just about guaranteed to crash. Some people remove the sway bar or sway bar end links which is a totally different thing than the track bar. You probably want to learn the difference before you start taking stuff off.

MilMJ11 10-21-2013 05:50 AM

^^^what he said.

LzM 10-21-2013 06:36 AM

Oh my goodness.

fang_x 10-21-2013 06:53 AM

You would be okay with removing the rear track bar,
But dont remove the front. its coil springs and they can shift side to side. Without the front track bar, the only things holding your front axle centered is your control arms, and they arent designed for side to side movement..

westy2005 10-21-2013 06:53 AM

The trac bar removal that you may have heard of would be for a CJ, or YJ I believe (they have leaf springs, and can support the axle side to side). Your XJ has a 4 (5) link front suspension with coil springs and the trac bar is NOT removable. I am actually surprised that the axle stayed underneath it.

Needless to say, it NEEDS to be there, so put it back on before you get seriously injured.

Paradise XJ 10-21-2013 09:36 AM

Track bar...sway bar...

Is this a terminology problem? If so, removing the front ANY bar is a bad idea...removing the REAR SWAY BAR is just plain normal

xj89can 10-21-2013 11:27 AM

yes see it was/is a miss translation communication problem,i understood there functions and read posts that say all of the things you guys said but there are just as many posts saying its good for the "ride" and articulation. these people are obviously not being clear about make/model and front /rear specifics and i fear im not the only one who will dooped into this. and yes i put mine back on even before you all posted.i thank you all,and i feel shame.

biffgnar 10-21-2013 12:15 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradise XJ (Post 17017322)
Track bar...sway bar...

Is this a terminology problem? If so, removing the front ANY bar is a bad idea...

The resulting degree of "badness" is significantly worse with one than the other.

chris87xj 10-21-2013 01:43 PM

Although track-bar and sway-bar sound kind of alike, they're actually totally different.
You won't be driving far at all without the track bar in place.
You can drive without the front sway bar but should really have it connected for speeds above 40mph; which is why they make quick disconnecting track bar links. The rear track bar is of much less overall significance due XJs having leaf springs in back, and can be safely permanently removed.
Btw, you're the first person I've ever heard say they experienced death wobble while in reverse.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/o...jsteering1.jpg

cbenez1 10-21-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj89can (Post 17020698)
yes see it was/is a miss translation communication problem,i understood there functions and read posts that say all of the things you guys said but there are just as many posts saying its good for the "ride" and articulation. these people are obviously not being clear about make/model and front /rear specifics and i fear im not the only one who will dooped into this. and yes i put mine back on even before you all posted.i thank you all,and i feel shame.

No one ever said removing the trac bar was good for ride on any year, make or model Jeep. You are the 1st person I've ever seen/heard of to make this mistake. Not try to offend or bash you but it is YOUR responsibility to read and clearly understand what is being said before YOU turn any wrenches. This particular mistake could have been disastrous. Having said that Welcome to the "Jeep thing" and please be more careful in the future.

The time now is 01:52 PM.