Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Towing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-14-2002, 08:11 PM   #1
GrantMLS

Towing

Got an 1988 4.0L Auto 4x4 jeep with around 175,000 miles on it. (just figured out it gets 17.5 mpg!) I currenly pull my race bike on an open 4x8 trailer but am about to purchase a 5x8 enclosed trailer. The trailer weighs 840lbs and bike with tools weighs around 400lbs. Is this gonna be a problem on long pulls? OR just keep a good steady pull? I have a bigger thens tock Radiator and a replacement trans cooler.

anyone else tow with an older Jeep?

GrantMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
arpy

The Cherokee with 4.0 and auto with a trans cooler and class 3 hitch can tow 5000 pounds. Even with a lighter hitch you should have no trouble at all. Just be sure your brakes are tip top.
arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
BrianG

depending on how far you drive, or how hot your area is, you may want to convert the closed cooling system.
Unread 08-15-2002, 01:10 PM   #4
glenzx

Also make sure your rear differential fluid is in good shape! The added load of a trailer really punishes the diff. The Trans. cooler is a good investment. Make sure the rear suspension and shocks are in good shape too. All pretty basic stuff, but make a huge difference!
glenzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
GrantMLS

thanks for all the tips. I am just fixing my oil leaks, changing out all the fluids and I will be going to pick it up. Also going and installing new shocks.
GrantMLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.