Tow Points - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tow Points

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
cabbotts
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tow Points

OK, I'm just getting into wheeling and I don't really know many people who already are, so this is going to be a big help even though it may sound pretty basic to most.

So I need tow points on my XJ. I would like both front and rear, but can I get by most of the time with just rear?

I will probably put in hooks on the front, but I need some guidance on how it's done. Can anyone do a quick write-up to let me know how easy front hooks are installed?

Also, I was thinking about this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95594
Will this work for me? I'll probably never do any heavy wheeling but I'm definitely going to get stuck once-in-a-while.

Also, on a stock XJ where is the best place at this point to hook a tow strap? My girlfriend got stuck in the snow and I didn't want to use my Jeep because I didn't want to break anything. So I used my work's plow truck instead (plus the strap was already hooked up to the hitch.)

Any guidance would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Unread 03-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
excellentchoice
1989 XJ Cherokee 

front hook install LINK

go HERE to answer alot of questions.

as for the receiver hook, i would feel better if it were a clevis, but even then if you are using the right kind of tow strap you dont need either type.
if you are using a strap w/o hooked ends just stick the loop into your reciever and put the pin through it.
excellentchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbotts View Post
Also, on a stock XJ where is the best place at this point to hook a tow strap? My girlfriend got stuck in the snow and I didn't want to use my Jeep because I didn't want to break anything. So I used my work's plow truck instead (plus the strap was already hooked up to the hitch.)
There really is none. As an absolute last resort, around the axle would probably be the best spot. You can still do damage, though, depending upon how badly you are stuck.

Front and rear recovery points should be the first mod you make if you intend to off-road. Our club requires them for any trail ride participants.

FWIW, receiver hitches make wonderful recovery points and are useful for many other purposes as well (not to mention being fairly economical).
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Theres nothing wrong with strapping a shackle or wrapping an axle tube for a small pull out of the snow.

Its when you're axle deep/buried/sideways/upside down/running pro comps and need to do a snatch pull or a harder tug that proper tow points are a necessity. Its kinda silly all car manufacturers don't put a good front and rear point on every vehicle.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
/running pro comps
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
freemans97XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentchoice View Post
front hook install LINK

go HERE to answer alot of questions.

as for the receiver hook, i would feel better if it were a clevis, but even then if you are using the right kind of tow strap you dont need either type.
if you are using a strap w/o hooked ends just stick the loop into your reciever and put the pin through it.

Thanks for the link!!

John
Unread 03-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
cabbotts
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I think that answers everything. The links were helpful. Is a front hitch install as easy as the hooks?
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
TheEddie

Quote:
Thanks. I think that answers everything. The links were helpful. Is a front hitch install as easy as the hooks?
Hooks = bumper removal (with the exception of one kit that I have seen). Otherwise very straight forward.

Hitch = fishing bolts through the "frame" rails through small holes in the front of them = huge PITA and sore arms. I will never install a front hitch again. That doesn't mean you shouldn't though. The rest of the install is pie.

If you do get a hitch, a trick that I used was to wrap high test fishing line around the end of the bolt and try to fish the line though. The bolt will follow if you are lucky. Just don't make the bolt too thick with the line because it won't clear the holes.

I wanted a hitch because:
Side pulls are now an option - just in case.
It also strengthens up the front end, acting like a brace.

Past Jeeps: 01 TJ, 97 TJ, 98 XJ, 2000 WJ
TheEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEddie View Post
Hooks = bumper removal (with the exception of one kit that I have seen). Otherwise very straight forward.

Hitch = fishing bolts through the "frame" rails through small holes in the front of them = huge PITA and sore arms. I will never install a front hitch again. That doesn't mean you shouldn't though. The rest of the install is pie.

If you do get a hitch, a trick that I used was to wrap high test fishing line around the end of the bolt and try to fish the line though. The bolt will follow if you are lucky. Just don't make the bolt too thick with the line because it won't clear the holes.

I wanted a hitch because:
Side pulls are now an option - just in case.
It also strengthens up the front end, acting like a brace.
My front hitch wasn't all that bad to install. It came with wires to help fish the bolts thru the frame.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 01:48 AM   #10
TheEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
My front hitch wasn't all that bad to install. It came with wires to help fish the bolts thru the frame.
I bought mine used, and a post on here yielded no help on the install. I had to figure it out the hard way.

I take what I said back then if you buy it new!
TheEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
OK ... So I need tow points on my XJ. I would like both front and rear, but can I get by most of the time with just rear?

I will probably put in hooks on the front, ...
... Also, on a stock XJ where is the best place at this point to hook a tow strap? My girlfriend got stuck in the snow and I didn't want to use my Jeep because I didn't want to break anything. So I used my work's plow truck instead (plus the strap was already hooked up to the hitch.)

Any guidance would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Recovery points? Front & rear hitches for sure. Don't kid yourself into thinking you can get by with just rear tow points, even for a while. It's true, but you'd be surprised how easily you can forget or become complacent after a couple of rear recoveries. Then BAM! Comes a day when there's no rear access for a rescuer to haul you out. You'll kick yourself. Ask me how I know ...
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
cabbotts
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks

I'll probably settle with hooks in the front. I don't plan on getting into stuff that I shouldn't be. After all, it's my daily driver. Plus, I'm the type who would play it safe when it comes to mud. I'll take the advice on getting both front and rear though. I'll take your word for it so I don't find out the hard way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.