Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tow package radiator

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  monkeyhouse 
#1 ·
Guys, has anyone ever done the radiator upgrade that comes with the tow package? I've got to replace my radiator and this seems like a great upgrade. I have a 99 cherokee 4.0L 4WD with AW4. I know the part number is 5191929AA but checking on mopar or even rockauto, they don't list a 99 with an AW4. Has anyone tried this upgrade for this year model? I know it's thicker, but I'm just wondering if maybe the difference in transmissions will somehow cause a clearance issue? Anyone ever try it?

#3 ·
For hot climates, 4x4 use, or even just towing, the AW-4 XJ Cherokee should have the max cooling heavy duty radiator. For 4x4 use and for towing, the AW-4 XJ Cherokee should also have an auxiliary transmission cooler.

1997-2001 almost everything is exactly the same, and the heavy duty radiator for any of the those years will fit any other of those years.

#4 ·
I have the DPG radiator in mine. Its a two row. Should be about the same as what you are looking at, except in brass. As CJ-Tim stated, the rads should be about the same through the years. The only issue with a two row is the clutch fan is closer to the rad fins. I do have some scrapes on my fins from that, a '98. I don't understand your concern with the trans. All XJs had the AW4. Or is it listed for a manual? If manual specific, then it would not have the cooling tube connection for that. I think most sell the auto rad for use with a manual trans.

#13 ·
The only reason I bring up the transmission is because in the parts catalog, at moparonline and even rockauto list two different transmissions that were automatic, the aw4 and the AISIN. (For my year). I think I've found pretty much what I need though.

#6 ·
i have thr champion all aluminum two row in mine if you're still looking. Significant upgrade in performance over stock single row, cheaper than any MOPAR 2 row I could find and no press fit at the tank/core joint to fail, which is where the stock one finally gave out on me.

#9 ·
Yeah, I have a small external trans cooler. I just grabbed a stock unit with the lines from a junkyard XJ so the install was super simple. It's not overly difficult to do with an aftermarket, either. there's a lot of threads and videos out there. Basically you just splice some lines for it into the supply line to the built-in cooler in the rad.

#11 ·
Double check that. ALL AW4 radiators have a cooler inside the rad, Tim and I are talking about a separate, external cooler that should be used in addition to it, just like a stock XJ with the towing package had. I think their site is probably talking about the one built into the rad.

Side note: earlier I brain farted and said to install the external cooler after the one in the rad. That's wrong, you want it before. A cold transmission is not a happy transmission, so letting it pass through the rad second will warm up the fluid if the engine is warm but the tranny is still cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.