Tow Hitch Removal... - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tow Hitch Removal...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Reply
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Gnl.Weirdness
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,308
Tow Hitch Removal...

So the thing is fused to the frame rails with rust.

Already broke one bolt...

Should I just break the rest of them and then bang it off with a hammer? It's just 6 bolts right? 3 on either side? Or is it more then that?

Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Skwerly
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Yucaipa, CA
Posts: 204
Yea, six total, but they do NOT like to come out, as you found. Mine all eventually worked their way out, but I had to use a breaker bar and a LOT of grunt.

You may want to consider cutting and then retapping. I vowed never to mess with those things again lol.
Skwerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
toates89
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: long island, new york
Posts: 2,190
if only the installer used anti seize we wouldnt have these problems
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Gnl.Weirdness
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,308
I don't intend on putting the hitch back on, but will be getting a new rear bumper at some point. Are those used as mounting points on most after market bumpers?
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Tan Valley Arizona, AZ
Posts: 7,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighter View Post
I don't intend on putting the hitch back on, but will be getting a new rear bumper at some point. Are those used as mounting points on most after market bumpers?
They are used as mounting points for gas tank skidplates
__________________
AZ-Jeff
1992 XJ -- stock (RIP)
2000 XJ -- lots of basic mods. Sold to fellow forum member. I miss it.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
sbens12889
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 64
i removed one at the junk yard.

it took a breaker bar, and two of us like 45 minutes to get it off. didnt break one bolt.

shoot em with some pb blaster.
__________________
'97 XJ country 2WD - DD 3.5" RE superride, 31X10.50X15 BFG AT's on black cragar soft 8's
sbens12889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
dagr8tim
Moderator
 
dagr8tim's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Galloway, Oh
Posts: 2,933
The hitches are held in by nutstrips. If you break/cut the heads off of all of the bolts, you can remove the rear bumper and remove/replace the nutstrips if you want to go as rear skid plate. New nutstrips are like $30 a set.

The skid plate came off of my 98 but nearly blew my shoulder using an 18 inch half inch drive ratchet and a 2 foot breaker bar and liberal amounts of PB Blast. The hitch came off of my 97 like butter with the 18 inch ratchet and spraying the bolts down for about a week before with Seafoam spray.
__________________
Jeeping - The art of getting dirty & going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Gnl.Weirdness
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,308
yeh I have sprayed these suckers for like 2 weeks and still broke the first one I tried. I need a longer breaker bar, or some steel tubing that I can put my current one in for more leverage. Might just end up cutting em all heh as I don't plan on a gas tank skid just yet. Lift kit and front and rear bumper are next.
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
GreenLanternXJ
Registered User
1975 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 251
The PO of my trail rig had a good method of hitch removal. He was towing a boat up a hill and the jack on the trailer got caught. He gunned it and ripped the hitch right off. Gotta love the torque of the 4.0.
__________________
Current Project: The Clockwork Orange. 1975 CJ5. Chevy 307, T90, Dana 18.
GreenLanternXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Dbiked
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanternXJ View Post
The PO of my trail rig had a good method of hitch removal. He was towing a boat up a hill and the jack on the trailer got caught. He gunned it and ripped the hitch right off. Gotta love the torque of the 4.0.
Wow. . . just wow. . . everytime i read something like this i gain a lot more room in my heart for me heep haha
__________________
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Gnl.Weirdness
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,308
yeh the nut heads are all rusted so badly that I can't get any of the sockets to fit over the bolts.

Any suggestions for cutting them? Just hit em with a cutting disk I assume? Then what, bang with a hammer on the hitch and pull the nut strips from inside the frame rails?
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
FairlanePhil
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighter View Post
yeh the nut heads are all rusted so badly that I can't get any of the sockets to fit over the bolts.

Any suggestions for cutting them? Just hit em with a cutting disk I assume? Then what, bang with a hammer on the hitch and pull the nut strips from inside the frame rails?

I pulled the nutstrip out of mine
It was bear. you have to pull it out until it hits the bumper and sawzall off what you can see. Then slide it out 2" at a time and keep bending it down as it comes out. The very end is L shaped and is a horror to get out. I used a cutoff wheel to cut it as short as possible and then twisted it around until it fit out the hole.

Had I been open to more rattles I would have pushed it back in the frame and forgot about it

Also the two exhaust hanger.tank heat shield 18mm bolts go into the nutstrips. After removal I fished some bolts thru with thin wire and welded them pointing down then reinstalled the hangers with nuts
__________________
Patriot Blue 2000 XJ. SOLD
Wife has an 01 stocker
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
Gnl.Weirdness
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,308
yeh the exhaust hanger is kinda f'd anyway, need a new one I think. Can't find the part though on rock auto. As for the heat shield will have to deal with that when it comes to it.

Good to know the nut strip accounted for more things though, gonna be more of a job then I thought.
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
Gnl.Weirdness
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
I pulled the nutstrip out of mine
It was bear. you have to pull it out until it hits the bumper and sawzall off what you can see. Then slide it out 2" at a time and keep bending it down as it comes out. The very end is L shaped and is a horror to get out. I used a cutoff wheel to cut it as short as possible and then twisted it around until it fit out the hole.

Had I been open to more rattles I would have pushed it back in the frame and forgot about it

Also the two exhaust hanger.tank heat shield 18mm bolts go into the nutstrips. After removal I fished some bolts thru with thin wire and welded them pointing down then reinstalled the hangers with nuts
Yeh the original exhaust hanger is F'd with rust right now. I am gonna blast it and see where is stands, but right now it's looking pretty ****ty. Any good ideas for replacing/fixing it?
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
dagr8tim
Moderator
 
dagr8tim's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Galloway, Oh
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighter View Post
Yeh the original exhaust hanger is F'd with rust right now. I am gonna blast it and see where is stands, but right now it's looking pretty ****ty. Any good ideas for replacing/fixing it?
The exhaust hanger on my 97 & 98 are different. The 97's tail pipe has a barb on it that attaches to a rubber disk (most likely factory because the muffler has the Chrysler star stamped into it). My 98 had this round plate, with a loop of rubber (looked like conveyor belt material) that had a curved piece of metal with a lip on the bottom. You put the curved piece of metal between the tail pipe and a muffler clamp.

Shouldn't be hard to find an aftermarket replacement. I'll shoot you some pics of the hanger from the 98 if you want.

EDIT:
This looks to be exactly what my 98 had:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_472731658___
Part Number: 36377 (incase the link doesn't work)

There are also many other's under $5 that can be made to work with some trimming.
__________________
Jeeping - The art of getting dirty & going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.