Tow Hitch Removal... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tow Hitch Removal...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tow Hitch Removal...

So the thing is fused to the frame rails with rust.

Already broke one bolt...

Should I just break the rest of them and then bang it off with a hammer? It's just 6 bolts right? 3 on either side? Or is it more then that?

Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Skwerly
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, six total, but they do NOT like to come out, as you found. Mine all eventually worked their way out, but I had to use a breaker bar and a LOT of grunt.

You may want to consider cutting and then retapping. I vowed never to mess with those things again lol.
Skwerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

if only the installer used anti seize we wouldnt have these problems
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't intend on putting the hitch back on, but will be getting a new rear bumper at some point. Are those used as mounting points on most after market bumpers?
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighter View Post
I don't intend on putting the hitch back on, but will be getting a new rear bumper at some point. Are those used as mounting points on most after market bumpers?
They are used as mounting points for gas tank skidplates
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
sbens12889
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i removed one at the junk yard.

it took a breaker bar, and two of us like 45 minutes to get it off. didnt break one bolt.

shoot em with some pb blaster.
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

The hitches are held in by nutstrips. If you break/cut the heads off of all of the bolts, you can remove the rear bumper and remove/replace the nutstrips if you want to go as rear skid plate. New nutstrips are like $30 a set.

The skid plate came off of my 98 but nearly blew my shoulder using an 18 inch half inch drive ratchet and a 2 foot breaker bar and liberal amounts of PB Blast. The hitch came off of my 97 like butter with the 18 inch ratchet and spraying the bolts down for about a week before with Seafoam spray.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeh I have sprayed these suckers for like 2 weeks and still broke the first one I tried. I need a longer breaker bar, or some steel tubing that I can put my current one in for more leverage. Might just end up cutting em all heh as I don't plan on a gas tank skid just yet. Lift kit and front and rear bumper are next.
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
GreenLanternXJ
1975 CJ5 

The PO of my trail rig had a good method of hitch removal. He was towing a boat up a hill and the jack on the trailer got caught. He gunned it and ripped the hitch right off. Gotta love the torque of the 4.0.
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Dbiked
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanternXJ View Post
The PO of my trail rig had a good method of hitch removal. He was towing a boat up a hill and the jack on the trailer got caught. He gunned it and ripped the hitch right off. Gotta love the torque of the 4.0.
Wow. . . just wow. . . everytime i read something like this i gain a lot more room in my heart for me heep haha
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeh the nut heads are all rusted so badly that I can't get any of the sockets to fit over the bolts.

Any suggestions for cutting them? Just hit em with a cutting disk I assume? Then what, bang with a hammer on the hitch and pull the nut strips from inside the frame rails?
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
yeh the nut heads are all rusted so badly that I can't get any of the sockets to fit over the bolts.

Any suggestions for cutting them? Just hit em with a cutting disk I assume? Then what, bang with a hammer on the hitch and pull the nut strips from inside the frame rails?

I pulled the nutstrip out of mine
It was bear. you have to pull it out until it hits the bumper and sawzall off what you can see. Then slide it out 2" at a time and keep bending it down as it comes out. The very end is L shaped and is a horror to get out. I used a cutoff wheel to cut it as short as possible and then twisted it around until it fit out the hole.

Had I been open to more rattles I would have pushed it back in the frame and forgot about it

Also the two exhaust hanger.tank heat shield 18mm bolts go into the nutstrips. After removal I fished some bolts thru with thin wire and welded them pointing down then reinstalled the hangers with nuts
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeh the exhaust hanger is kinda f'd anyway, need a new one I think. Can't find the part though on rock auto. As for the heat shield will have to deal with that when it comes to it.

Good to know the nut strip accounted for more things though, gonna be more of a job then I thought.
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
I pulled the nutstrip out of mine
It was bear. you have to pull it out until it hits the bumper and sawzall off what you can see. Then slide it out 2" at a time and keep bending it down as it comes out. The very end is L shaped and is a horror to get out. I used a cutoff wheel to cut it as short as possible and then twisted it around until it fit out the hole.

Had I been open to more rattles I would have pushed it back in the frame and forgot about it

Also the two exhaust hanger.tank heat shield 18mm bolts go into the nutstrips. After removal I fished some bolts thru with thin wire and welded them pointing down then reinstalled the hangers with nuts
Yeh the original exhaust hanger is F'd with rust right now. I am gonna blast it and see where is stands, but right now it's looking pretty ****ty. Any good ideas for replacing/fixing it?
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeh the original exhaust hanger is F'd with rust right now. I am gonna blast it and see where is stands, but right now it's looking pretty ****ty. Any good ideas for replacing/fixing it?
The exhaust hanger on my 97 & 98 are different. The 97's tail pipe has a barb on it that attaches to a rubber disk (most likely factory because the muffler has the Chrysler star stamped into it). My 98 had this round plate, with a loop of rubber (looked like conveyor belt material) that had a curved piece of metal with a lip on the bottom. You put the curved piece of metal between the tail pipe and a muffler clamp.

Shouldn't be hard to find an aftermarket replacement. I'll shoot you some pics of the hanger from the 98 if you want.

EDIT:
This looks to be exactly what my 98 had:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_472731658___
Part Number: 36377 (incase the link doesn't work)

There are also many other's under $5 that can be made to work with some trimming.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.