Tow Bar Installation Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tow Bar Installation Tips

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Plum

Tow Bar Installation Tips

Hello All,

Does anyone have any tips on installing a tow bar for a 1990 XJ? I bought this tow package from Harbor Freight and the instructions are a little fuzzy. Has anyone installed one of these on there vehicles?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Gerry

Plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

What tow bar did you get?

One from harbor freight sounds like it'd be a cheapo universal job for vehicles with flat faced steel bumpers.

Ones from companies like Blue Ox require that your vehicle have a base plate installed to the frame and the tow bar, sold separately, connects to that.
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Rmart30

i have that harbor freight tow bar and have towed many cherokees 1000's of miles with it and can install it in about 25 minutes... Never had any problems out of it. You can buy extra brackets for like $8 a pair. ive got them on all my cherokees.
You need a drill and a cpl of bits. 1/4" and 1/2". and whatever wrenches fit the bolts that come with it... i replaced the HF bolts and went to 1/2" grade 8 bolts on mine.

ive got a pic of the brackets mounted if someone will post it on this thread for me i will email it to them.
Currently own 93 XJ 33's on 4" lift....01 XJ stock,will replace my 93 after mods are done..... 1994 ZJ V8, BB w/31's........99 XJ stock....97 XJ 2wd 5 spd stock.... and just p/u a 98 XJ 4wd/5 spd and a 01 XJ
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Plum

Rmart30 Reply

Hey Rmart30,

Did you remove your chrome bumper or attach the tow bar assembly directly to the chrome bumper? If you have some pics that would be great.
Plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Rmart30

brackets go directly on bumper.....PM me your email address and i will email the pics of them mounted.
Currently own 93 XJ 33's on 4" lift....01 XJ stock,will replace my 93 after mods are done..... 1994 ZJ V8, BB w/31's........99 XJ stock....97 XJ 2wd 5 spd stock.... and just p/u a 98 XJ 4wd/5 spd and a 01 XJ
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
ive got a pic of the brackets mounted if someone will post it on this thread for me i will email it to them.
The Rmart30 pic is below. I do not think that those brackets are a safe and secure way to mount a tow bar on a Cherokee. The bumper is only slightly thicker sheet metal than the fenders. A hard tug can pull the whole bumper right off the Cherokee, see the second picture. To mount a tow bar to a Unibody vehicle like a Cherokee, you must use a base-plate or some frame reinforcement brackets.

Use Google or visit an RV website and search for a Cherokee tow bar base plate. Blue Ox is one the more common brands.

tow.jpg   bump.jpg  

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.