Total frustration! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Total frustration!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
brandyb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Total frustration! New Jeep worked 1 month. Stalls out.

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone on here has some new ideas for me. I bought my 99 Cherokee sport after a car that was given to me died (it had 325,000 miles) so it was time. However, my "new" Jeep worked for about a month before it started doing the following:

stalling out while idling at stoplights or slowing down to turn a corner
radiator gauge quickly maxing out without smoking engine
sometimes a metallic burning smell with white smoke under hood
can't restart right away, engine will crank and crank without turning over
rough idle when restarted
will only drive less than a mile or about a minute before this happens

This started in February and I've read a lot of threads on this forum and replaced the CPS (however, I didn't buy a Mopar part), and the distributor cap and spark plugs. I bought a code reader, and it's not throwing any codes, I bought a voltage meter, but I'm not able to figure out how to test things like the CPS, TPS, or the O2 sensor according the the Chilton's that I bought.

I finally got AAA after having to pay to have this thing towed twice and had it towed to a mechanic in town that was pretty reputable, even AAA endorsed. They didn't seem to spend a whole lot of time figuring out what I already did or doing their own diagnostics before they decided the problem was a faulty transmission control module, which surprised me. According to some of the posts on here, the only symptoms of that being faulty would be funny shifting problems, which other than dying, it didn't have any.

I wasn't sure what else to do, so I asked them if they were sure it wasn't some other sensor or electrical problem and they blew me off and just kept saying that's what the diagnostic test came up with. $681 and several days later (they had to order the part) I was told it was fixed and working great. I go to pick it up after a 13 hour work day, pay the man, was told it passed its test drive and had a friend drive it in front of me to my house.

It died in the exact same way about a half mile from the repair shop, this time emitting smoke from the back end when he tried to restart it. Yet again, I had to call AAA to have it towed back there. I'm at my wit's end with this Jeep, I really like it and was all set to get into them (I want a Rubicon), but this one is souring jeeps and mechanics for me. Any suggestions?

Last edited by brandyb; 06-13-2013 at 07:15 AM..
brandyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure what the cause of your problem could be at this time but don't let it ruin Jeeps for you. I'm sure we ( JeepForum) will sort it out for you. DO let this ruin [most] mechanics for you. They really don't know as much as their arrogance conveys. After having to school them one too many times, I've given-up on mechanics. Jeeps are VERY easy to work on, and if I feel lazy, then I take it to a mechanic that will do exactly as I say. I rarely do because SO much money is saved by doing all of my own work.

Story time!

I KNEW that bad tire balance was causing some wobble (I've since PROVEN this by getting them balanced), but one arrogant mechanic insisted I needed a new steering stabilizer, and when I refused he hung-up on me and lost all my business. All he had to do was balance my wheels, but his ignorant ego wouldn't let him.

I suggest that you get on that mechanic's case about the bill now that their $600 fix failed so miserably. If they're a truly reputable shop, they should have a warranty on their work that I'd imagine applies.

P.S. How is your coolant? What you describe sounds an awful lot like your overheating with air in your system. Maybe it's poor fuel delivery--check injectors, pressure, pump, etc? CPS really should be Mopar though. I'm not saying its the problem, but that is one part that is notoriously unreliable aftermarket.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

if it is stalling while at idle, i would clean your iac. cost you all of bucks for cleaner. just do a search and there are PLENTY of write ups on it. i agree with what mschi said, don't let this ruin jeeps but do let it ruin mechanics. a lot of them do stuff like what you described to get money. invest in some tools, if you don't already have some, especially torx screwdrivers, and when your jeep starts bein stupid, search on here. if you can't find an answer, just ask. there are normally plenty of people on here that can walk you through whatever your jeep is doin.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gauge , rough idle , smoke , stalling at stop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.