Torque Converter Clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Torque Converter Clutch

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
LimpZip22
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Torque Converter Clutch

i've had a check engine light on for a while and went and got the codes read at pepboys. it came back as a torque converter clutch circuit malfunction. from the couple of people i have talked to it could range from a wire being off, to needing new fluid, to needing a whole new tcc. i was wondering if anybody has any suggestions theres 130k on the jeep and ive had it since 85k with no tranny flush or any tranny stuff done. im tired of looking at that ****ing light and want to get my jeep back in shape. any suggestions or tips on how to fix this issue would be awesome, i also really dont know what the tcc is so any other help would be great too.

LimpZip22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
oisiaa
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The torque convert clutch allows your torque converter to lock so that the engine drives the transmission directly without any slippage. In older cars there would always be ~10% slip during steady state driving which kills fuel economy.
oisiaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
gfh004

I have the same year as you and had the same problem but I have many
more miles.Three shops said I needed a rebuild but I thought I would
try changing the fluid to see if that would stop the tcc error and engine light.
After changing the fluid the error is gone and it's been 10 months since
the engine lights been on.
gfh004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.