torque converter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > torque converter

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 05-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
eddiecash

torque converter

hey, I'm new here. My wife has a 1998 jeep cherokee and I just found out that the torque converter is sticking when the car is running hot. the thing already stalled on her as she sat in traffic going into the lincoln tunnel.

does anyone know how involved and expensive it is to get fixed?

eddiecash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
youngwon22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Personally, I'd install a tranny-cooler first, as it will be handy in a long run...
and seeing that your problem occurs from heat

Repair wise... I don't much info to tell you, but I know fixing a tranny is a lot of work, knowledge and of course.. $$$
Look for a AW4 in a junkyard
youngwon22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
youngwon22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

btw put more details of this situation
Unread 05-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
eddiecash

I don't really know too much about it myself. I dropped it off at the shop and the guy called me this morning and told me about the torque converter. I realize getting a tranny fixed is no walk in the park.

all I know is that the thing runs fine most of the time. I don't get worried driving it around town, but now that I know about this torque converter problem, I'd be a little scared to take it too far.

that time outside the lincoln tunnel is the first time it stalled. would the transmission fluid have anything to do with it?
eddiecash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

the AW4 is a very finicky transmission, it could just be asking for a new filter and some new blood. It could also be on its way to leaving you stranded. Start with a good signature so we can see what your heep has going for it. Then move on to a tranny cooler. A nice ice cold beer should be third on your list.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Try changing the fluid.
Unread 05-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The torque converter is part of the transmission, but it is simple to replace. It just pulls right off and you slip on the new one. You will need to remove the transmission to install a new torque converter.

Get the transmission serviced with a 100% fluid change and new filter and have a tranny cololer installed. Then see if it has more trouble before you just throw big money at it.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
youngwon22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
The torque converter is part of the transmission, but it is simple to replace. It just pulls right off and you slip on the new one. You will need to remove the transmission to install a new torque converter.

Get the transmission serviced with a 100% fluid change and new filter and have a tranny cololer installed. Then see if it has more trouble before you just throw big money at it.

AW4 is a tough tranny... IMO it's very unlikely that it'd just fail like that w/o abuse
Unread 05-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
severous01

if the engine overheated the you likely burnt up the fins in the TC...it's not unlikely. especially if it was hot, not overheated per se, but hotter than normal for an extended period of time. the tranny cooler is in the radiator...so if one's hot so is the other.

i'd try just replacing the TC and put new fluid/filter in. if you still have problems, buy a yard tranny, or have yours rebuilt using the new TC.

check the fluid for a nasty smell and a dark color. also look in the filter (if you can) for metal shavings and dark spots. also check the level of fluid on the dipstick.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.