Torque Converter ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Torque Converter ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Torque Converter ?

So my transmission is done due to being overheated for about 12 hours/running ATF (not Dex/Mercon). I know this was a very bad combination but was all I had to work with and I planned on replacing the transmission immediately following this trip anyway. I picked up a used one with the torque converter but it has a lot of surface rust so I'm not sure if I should use it. The torque converter that came out of my Jeep was exposed to the excessive heat as well so I'm curious if that could have damaged it in any way? If it helps the one out of my Jeep has a significant amount of resistance when I spin it opposed to the one that came with the used transmission.

TYIA
Brandon

miceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, it is normal for original torque convertors which were not painted to have surface rust. Won't hurt a thing.
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you wgirvine, that's what I wanted to hear. I'm concerned the original was trashed from the abuse my transmission went through. I'll put on the used one and stop worrying about it.
miceanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.