TJ spare tire mount on XJ ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > TJ spare tire mount on XJ ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
xj94
1994 XJ Cherokee 

TJ spare tire mount on XJ ?

Has anyone tried to mount a TJ spare tire mount on an XJ. I was thinking about bolting it directly over the license plate area and adding a couple of heavy duty hatch struts.I figure i'll start a little project after i tackle my dead head and tail light issue.Any tips will be appreciated

xj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

With hatch struts seeming to often struggle to lift just the weight of the hatch particularly in cold weather, it would take some uber-struts to lift a hatch with tire attached.
Not to be a killjoy, but I don't think there's enough structure in a hatch to hold the weight of a tire without fear of it unexpectedly departing of its own accord after road bumps and gravity have their way with it for a while. I've seen TJ tailgates and hinges become distorted from the weight of only slightly oversized tires hanging from them coupled with some good wheeling trips.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its been talked about. I don't recall seeing one.

The tailgate is thin and weak. The weight of the tire will just pull the mount right out of the metal... Or in your , worse case yet, fiberglass tailgate (iirc)
You would need extensive reinforcement, adding even more weight.
It would be much easier to build a "swing out", or just find a stock swing out carrier...
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
xj94
1994 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, thought about beefing up the tailgate with some steel backing plates but that just will be added weight along with the 32" wheel.Like cory4um suggested i may try to hunt down a stock swing away.Thanks guys,there's nothing like a voice of reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
With hatch struts seeming to often struggle to lift just the weight of the hatch particularly in cold weather, it would take some uber-struts to lift a hatch with tire attached.
Not to be a killjoy, but I don't think there's enough structure in a hatch to hold the weight of a tire without fear of it unexpectedly departing of its own accord after road bumps and gravity have their way with it for a while. I've seen TJ tailgates and hinges become distorted from the weight of only slightly oversized tires hanging from them coupled with some good wheeling trips.
xj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

97+ steel hatch you could do it with upgraded struts as long as you backplate.

For the older fiberglass I wouldn't try. It will put too much stress on the hatch trying to close it. They're already prone to cracking over time from the pressure placed there anyway.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.