Tire Choices...Opinions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tire Choices...Opinions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
FernGreenXJ

Tire Choices...Opinions?

Alright, I've got a set of 31" Trxus on my truck now. Yeah, they're great, wearing a little fast, but they grip everything. I also have bushwackers and they just swallow these tires. I'm looking to upgrade to some 4.56's and either 33's or 35's. I trimmed my fenders as much as neatly possible and definitely have the room for 33's without a doubt. I have a RE 3.5" with full packs. It sits about 2 inches higher in the back, so I added my 1.5" spacer up front to level everything out. I was wondering if you guys think going right to 35's would be a good idea. I'm installing an Aussie up front soon and plan on an ARB in the rear in the future. I also don't beat the hell out of my truck when I'm wheeling it, it's my DD.

Here's what she looks like now.

JKS Adj. Trackbar, ARB Bumper, Warn M8000, Bushwackers, FM50, Rusty's intake, Mastercraft Rubicon Seating, Kicker L7, PPI PCX 1500, Infinity Reference Components, Duplicolor Underbody/Wheelwells, Herculined rockers, Optima Red Top, Riddler D30 Diff Cover
FernGreenXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

If you are still interested in Trxus, they make a 34" as well. The BW will make anything smaller than a 33 look small.
Are those any good in the mud? I only ask because even thier site states they have "the look" of a aggressive mud tire, kinda makes it sound like they aren't as good as say a TSL radial.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

id say go with the 33s no need to put that much more stress on it with 35s, that thing will look plenty nice with 33s under it. Looks very good right now, good job
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
red96jeep

get dunlop mud rovers great onroad ware and asome off road and in snow. they make 35's
Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
GottaBeJeep

I agree, keep your current height, and get some 34 or even 35" Trxus. The 34 and 35's last a lot longer than the 31's. I ran the 34" Trxus on my XJ and got nearly 50,000 miles out of them, and kept two of them for spares since they weren't to the wear bars yet. I have 31" Trxus on the wife's ZJ, and she will be getting 33's when these wear out. I am working on finishing up my full widths for my XJ this winter, so some 37" Trxus are going on next. I am currently running some 35" MT/R's under 5" lift, so you will have no problems running 34-35's under what you have now, just be sure to bumpstop properly.
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
epoxy_nc

mickey thompson MTZ (NOT MTX)

167 for 33x12.5 at summit racing!

every review of this tire kicks ***... search for them on naxja.org... i'll post some pics of mine tomorrow... i dont have them on yet though

[B]No one is worthless…..someone has to serve as the bad example.[/B]
epoxy_nc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
FernGreenXJ

Not sure if I would get another set of Trxus. Had to bring them back twice to get balance issues sorted out and it took A LOT of weight to balance. I was thinking of picking up the Kumho Road Venture MT's. I have heard a lot of good things about them. Will 4.56's be too low for my AW4 and 33's? I have a 5 hour drive to college that I have to make once in a while, so I need it to be good on the highway. I really like the way 35's would look, but I'm afraid I might not have enough lift to flex with them.
JKS Adj. Trackbar, ARB Bumper, Warn M8000, Bushwackers, FM50, Rusty's intake, Mastercraft Rubicon Seating, Kicker L7, PPI PCX 1500, Infinity Reference Components, Duplicolor Underbody/Wheelwells, Herculined rockers, Optima Red Top, Riddler D30 Diff Cover
FernGreenXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had severe balance issues with my TrXus as well - that's why I went back to the MT/Rs a will not get TrXus again.

As far as size, 33's will be much easier - less trimming (looks like you have enough), + ample amount of lift height, less stress on your axles, and a perfect match for 4.56 gears.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
oldblackxj
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I have read some great reviews on Maxxis Buckshot Mudders. They are worth a look. Good Luck!!!!
oldblackxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
Bowhunter46563
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ
I had severe balance issues with my TrXus as well - that's why I went back to the MT/Rs a will not get TrXus again.

As far as size, 33's will be much easier - less trimming (looks like you have enough), + ample amount of lift height, less stress on your axles, and a perfect match for 4.56 gears.
Had the same issues as Eric with the Trxus , went to MTR,s all is well.
01 XJ/4" lift/33" DC Muds/Sidebiter Wheels/Surco/ Hi-lift/Pilot lights/Bad Apple Fab diff gaurds/Front and rear receiver hitches/Rusty's LCA's/ Magnaflow/Rubi HD Track bar and Brace/Big Daddy tie rod/TB Spacer/Ractive air intake/ Jet Stage 1/Pioneeer & Fusion Sound/AJ's Super rails/Warn Skid /BW Flat Flares/Bedlined Rockers and Quarters
Bowhunter46563 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
TheArsonist21

I have Kumho Ventures, and they are great.. I plan on upgrading and I was planning on another tire like them but 33's..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.