tips need on cutting out rear wheel wells - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > tips need on cutting out rear wheel wells

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
srhcherokee24
2000 XJ Cherokee 

tips need on cutting out rear wheel wells

i have cut out the little lip that is on the rear wheel well but i want to go bigger. i want them to match the front and i need some tip to reconnet the wheel well and the quater panel back to gether.

srhcherokee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
steven-o

i would cut out the wheel wells where it starts to go flat, and get sheet metal and weld it in, connecting them together
steven-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You could also try some of the new adhesive bonding methods. They are strong enough to hold body panels on new cars and I haven't seen anyone try them here yet.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Thor View Post
You could also try some of the new adhesive bonding methods. They are strong enough to hold body panels on new cars and I haven't seen anyone try them here yet.
I'm pretty sure the adhesives are NOT used for structural components of a unibody. If one cuts through the welds of the pinch seam I think welding would be be a safer way to go.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you do go bigger than the original welds you are going to be doing a fair bit of welding to get new metal in place. I recently attempted opening up the rear of my 4-door and found it to be more work than I had originally planned for. The inner wheel well on the outer side is kind of conical shaped and requires alot of relief cuts to be able to bend and reach the outer quarter panel again.

If I were to do it again, I would cut the inner fenders where they come together and fab a new outside inner wheel well out of new sheet to weld in. The new metal would go from the inner well to the quarter panel.

just my opinion....hope it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Fix View Post
"somewhere between really crappy and kind-of-crappy gas mileage."
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
I'm pretty sure the adhesives are NOT used for structural components of a unibody. If one cuts through the welds of the pinch seam I think welding would be be a safer way to go.
Not sure I would agree. The outer skin on the Cherokee's rear end is no more structural than any other vehicle and they use the new adhesives to bond almost all of the skins on several new vehicles including the Camaros and Mustangs. I have seen some of this stuff in wrecked vehicles and the metal has torn before the bond broke. Also, in the stated application It would not likely be subjected to high stress. That is why there are only spot welds there in the first place. If it was a high stress structural area it would be seam welded.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Ckwapich
1989 MJ Comanche 

my dad has a body shop and we tested those kinds of adhesives by "glueing 1/4" plates together and the chain broke around 3500 pounds and the adhesive was still intact

i would use the adhesive before i would weld it, no warping is a major plus
Ckwapich is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.