Made some more progress worthy of an update...
So after taking off my old rock rails, I didn't feel like reworking the mounts to be able to use them with my "new" frame rails. I decided to cut out the rockers and weld in box steel. I also decided to go a bit extreme and go all the way up to the door sills. Theres some other people that have done this and there is a good write-up on madxj.com that I followed, but of course I did some things a bit differently.
So here are the rockers cut out.
Then I cleaned up all the edges and cut out the door sill, leaving basically just the bases of the pillars.
Then I welded in 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron to strengthen the corner of the floor. This is important because not only will the floor be lower than my rockers, this piece will be used to help tie everything together.
I have the interior herculined and the heat from the welds melted the herculiner. Let me tell you - melting herculiner smokes bad and smells horrible! Luckily it only caught fire once...
Here is the underside:
I'm using 2" x 6" x 3/16" rectangular box steel for the rockers. Primed and prepped for welding:
Capped the ends:
And I also decided that I may as well use the driver side one as an air tank. If it works I can get rid of the 2.5 gallon tank I have that is under the Jeep. Simpler is better! So I tapped in threads for a hose barb.
I then hooked it up to my OBA to test it.
I am glad I did this before
I welded the rocker on because to my dismay I had about a dozen leaks in my welds. I totally under-estimated how hard it is to make air-tight welds! So I had to try and plug the leaks and after a few tries I think I have it sealed up enough to use.