Time to beef things up! - - a build thread of sorts - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Time to beef things up! - - a build thread of sorts

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2008, 04:44 AM   #61
UKJeepThang
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hi Eric, Sorry to be a pain and I know you are busy but could you just post a couple of pics of where your exhaust exit actually is?

I've got problems with my stock exhuast exit and the fact it's sandwiched (and touching) the rear shackle and the Skid Row Gas Skid. I've thought about various ways of routing it and I've read other peoples thoughts and opinions on this thread but a couple of pictures would help.

Thanks in advance and great thread. A couple of months ago I was seriously thinking of the T&T Y link system as my next suspension upgrade and this thread I think has sold it to me!!!

RE 4.5 inch superflex lift, RE GEN2 disconnects, 15x8 Crager 352's, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, 4.56 Diffs, Cut & Tap Short Shaft Conversion, CV Rear Prop, B&M Transmission Cooler and Gauge, Bushwackers Cut-Outs, Skid Row Armor, AJ's SuperRails, LeBaron Hood Vents, KargoMaster Rack, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters, Midland CB, Brantz Navigation
Loads a mud!!
UKJeepThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #62
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

looks good Eric...you ran into a few more problems then i did when i put mine in, but all the upgrades look good. i definetly like the idea of the front stiffiners. but i too like the TnT stiffiners, my trunk used to pop open all the time while offroading, but after the stiffiners it has yet to do it. its the same for the trunk area window, it used to creak and crack all the time, but now its quiet as a mouse.

definetly looks good Eric. keep us updated.
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #63
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Okay I got the suspension on and did some testing. The exhaust is not abnoxiously loud but it can be heard at all speeds when you are on the gas. I think I like it. I've also been checking the gas tank skid and it isn't getting hot at all so I think its good. Worse case I could cut it off and do the turn down before the axle as RWK suggested.

And because someone asked, I got a sound clip for you. I rev'd it to 3000rpm. Keep in mind this is in the driveway, the exhaust was already warm, and it was a bit windy today. I think it sounds a whole lot better in person.
http://www.ericsxj.com/unibody/exhaustclip.avi
Hmm, doesn't appear to sound too far off from my Flowmaster 50... I definitely like the small form factor of that new muffler of yours... my FM50 is pretty beat up now.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #64
Rasty1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Eric great write up. Question on mounting the bellypan, in the picture below I see you did not use the plates from TnT on the outside of the frame rails and just used large washers on the bolts. I am just putting mine on and with the crush sleeves could't figure why such big plates to bolt to the outside of the frame rail especially with having the frame rail stiffners on. So I assume you came to the same conclusion?
Also thanks for the tip on the frame rail stiffeners from TMR, I just ordered a set, great time to get them on.
My wife and I go to Reno alot to see our daughter and son-in-law would love to hook up sometime and take a look at your jeep. I will bring mine up when my build is complete.
Rasty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #65
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkJeepThang
Hi Eric, Sorry to be a pain and I know you are busy but could you just post a couple of pics of where your exhaust exit actually is?

I've got problems with my stock exhuast exit and the fact it's sandwiched (and touching) the rear shackle and the Skid Row Gas Skid. I've thought about various ways of routing it and I've read other peoples thoughts and opinions on this thread but a couple of pictures would help.
I'll try and get a pic for you but you should be able to see it in the pics. Mine does not go to the side of the gas tank like the stock one does. It goes straight back from the Cat and muffler and theres a turndown right after the axle. The tip of the turndown is about 2" in front of the gas tank skid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty1 View Post
Eric great write up. Question on mounting the bellypan, in the picture below I see you did not use the plates from TnT on the outside of the frame rails and just used large washers on the bolts. I am just putting mine on and with the crush sleeves could't figure why such big plates to bolt to the outside of the frame rail especially with having the frame rail stiffners on. So I assume you came to the same conclusion?
Correct. With the stiffeners you don't need to extra braces, they are just extra weight. Those add support for stock frame rail for people without the stiffeners although I've seen plenty of people still use them.

Quote:
My wife and I go to Reno alot to see our daughter and son-in-law would love to hook up sometime and take a look at your jeep. I will bring mine up when my build is complete.
Anytime! Just let me know when you'll be coming!

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #66
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I am truly jealous of that rust free underbelly.

My next XJ is coming from the desert.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #67
UKJeepThang
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Thanks for all the comments!

I'll try and get a pic for you but you should be able to see it in the pics. Mine does not go to the side of the gas tank like the stock one does. It goes straight back from the Cat and muffler and theres a turndown right after the axle. The tip of the turndown is about 2" in front of the gas tank skid.
Forget the extra pics Eric. I've studied your other pics in detail and I can see exactly what I was looking for.
RE 4.5 inch superflex lift, RE GEN2 disconnects, 15x8 Crager 352's, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, 4.56 Diffs, Cut & Tap Short Shaft Conversion, CV Rear Prop, B&M Transmission Cooler and Gauge, Bushwackers Cut-Outs, Skid Row Armor, AJ's SuperRails, LeBaron Hood Vents, KargoMaster Rack, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters, Midland CB, Brantz Navigation
Loads a mud!!
UKJeepThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #68
asp87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
I am truly jealous of that rust free underbelly.

My next XJ is coming from the desert.
x2

awesome build and xj all said
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #69
mall_crawler
1996 XJ Cherokee 

DAMN, Looks Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trail Never Ends.....
mall_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #70
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've got more work to do so I took off a few things.

Unread 04-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #71
justinwalden

haha its naked
justinwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #72
cherokeeman90
1998 XJ Cherokee 

y'd you take it all off?
cherokeeman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #73
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Omg, PLEASE CAGE, PLEASEEEEEEE
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #74
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun514 View Post
Omg, PLEASE CAGE, PLEASEEEEEEE
A cage is definitely in the works but not just yet. I still need to get a tube bender and learn how to work it. I may try to get that going later this year or over the winter.

I've been wanting to take off the doors for a long time now, and after getting the driver side off my biggest worry is that I won't get them to shut nicely ever again. We'll see about that. But believe it or not, I took all that off just so I can add some rocker protection. You'll see why later.

Unread 04-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #75
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

oooooh, i think i see now, I am taking another guess on boat sides
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.