Time to beef things up! - - a build thread of sorts - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Time to beef things up! - - a build thread of sorts

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 04-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #46
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Master fabricator at work, very nice work. I have done tig and mig (very small amounts) and those are some fine looking welds you have there...I understand the therapeutic part.

The only prob I see with your exhaust turn down is the carbon monoxide and cabin. I think they put the tips out past the ends of the vehical to prevent exhaust from making its way into the cab...mine is just tucked in close enuff to my rear hitch to avoid getting smacked, and still fires exhaust clear of the vehical...I dont know if there is any fact to my exhaust in the cab myth...I guess you'll figure it out once you fire it up.

Very nice.

1990 Black 2 Door, Homemade 3" lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT's on rock crawlers, recovery front and rear, bed lined interior, rockerless, armored rear quarters, magnaflow muffler, CB, DIY Immobilizer, AC to OBA, Silverstars and a nice rack.
Build Up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...ild-up-820250/
325,000km young.
jeeposaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #47
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thats a valid point but I actually had the tip of my old exhaust cut off well before the rear bumper. It was routed to the stock location on the side of the gas tank but because I cut it off, it just shot straight back and didn't even have a turndown. So I think I'm okay in that regard. Unless the fumes have been making me stupider by the day and I don't know it...

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #48
badassr1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

No adjustable spring plates?
badassr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #49
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassr1 View Post
No adjustable spring plates?
I'm sorry I don't know what you are talking about.

Unread 04-04-2008, 02:37 AM   #50
jersey_jim
1994 XJ Cherokee 

maybe he is asking about adjustable rear bump stops.

did you dump it right near the gas tank because you have a extended rear shackle that would hit the tail pipe? i had to cut mine down when installing my boomerang shackles, and now its almost time to redo my entire exhaust from header to tailpipe, and i like the idea you have.
Unread 04-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #51
badassr1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

No I am talking about front adjustable spring mounts. It allows you to adjust for spring sag or more hieght.

badassr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #52
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No. I was happy with the ride height and I didn't have a case where one side was sagging more than another.

Unread 04-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #53
RWKXJ

Exhaust looks great Eric! I wish I had taken my new setup off before I welded it all up...but it turned out good. You need to watch the exhaust by the gas tank though, I had mine cut and turned to go out between the corner of the gas tank and toward the passenger leaf and I had exhaust heating up my gas tank on long trips causing it to expand and vent through the gas cap and back up thru the evap canister, giving a strong gas smell in the cabin. Once I put the new exhaust on and turned it down before the axle it took care of those problems....just something to think about. I used a 90* mandrel elbow from summit to do the turndown. Also I used a summit welded muffler that has quite a drone on the highway, It'll be interesting to see how loud yours is!
95 Sport, ~6" Lift-Rubicon Express & ACOS; RE Longarms w/ custom x-member.... 35x12.5 BFG KM2's, F&R Dana 44's; front-High pinion, narrowed to waggy width and an ARB, 4.88's, custom bumpers/sliders...
RWKXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #54
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

man that exhaust clearancing is annoying huh? my TNT arm on the passenger side is in full contact with the exhaust pipe at all times, just rubs up against it as it moves
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #55
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Very nice Eric I'm sure you'll gonna love the T&T kit! ..and yes, I ran to a couple similar problems than you did with the bellypan and exhaust. My exhaust pipe was bent as well, so I had to cut it off too

What I should've done with the new exhaust was side exit (tip behind pass. rear tire and as high as possible). Now I have to do some modifications, I'm just installing my gas tank skid and there's not enough room for the exhaust pipe

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #56
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Okay I got the suspension on and did some testing. The exhaust is not abnoxiously loud but it can be heard at all speeds when you are on the gas. I think I like it. I've also been checking the gas tank skid and it isn't getting hot at all so I think its good. Worse case I could cut it off and do the turn down before the axle as RWK suggested.

And because someone asked, I got a sound clip for you. I rev'd it to 3000rpm. Keep in mind this is in the driveway, the exhaust was already warm, and it was a bit windy today. I think it sounds a whole lot better in person.
http://www.ericsxj.com/unibody/exhaustclip.avi

Unread 04-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #57
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
And because someone asked, I got a sound clip for you. I rev'd it to 3000rpm. Keep in mind this is in the driveway, the exhaust was already warm, and it was a bit windy today. I think it sounds a whole lot better in person.
http://www.ericsxj.com/unibody/exhaustclip.avi
sounds throaty, I like it.

And yeah, listen to that auto volume level clip with the wind

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #58
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The big benefit of the T&T Customs Y-Link is clearance. The mounts are tucked up inboard of the frame rails and the bend in the lower arms gives awesome clearance. Heres the pic I posted on page one of my old setup with the drop brackets:

The clearance I had with the drop brackets was 15.5" from the ground. With the Y-Link I have 19" measured at the same place. So for the mathematically challenged, I gained 3.5" of clearance!

As far as the ride is concerned, it is slightly better than my old arms with the drop brackets. It does seem to absorb road imperfections (both on-road and off) better.

I also tested the flex to check for clearance and to make sure everything was working properly. I also took measurements for limiting straps. I'm using the same shocks as before so with those as my limiting factor, the amount of droop I have is the same.

I did adjust the arms to move the axle a little more forward than I had it before. It looks like it put the wheel right in the center of the wheelwell. I'm happy with that. Pointed straight I have no rubbing and my bumpstops are making contact. If I turn while flexing it will rub parts of the inner fenderwell but I am used to that.

Unread 04-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #59
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

More pics, flexing the other side now.

Also I will say the stiffeners have made a HUGE difference. There is only a miniscule amount of body flex even when maxing out the suspension. I got out to take the pics and the doors open and shut just like it does on level ground.

So that is pretty much where I am with this project so far. There is much more to come but I probably won't be doing daily updates - more like weekly since I get most of the work done on the weekends. What you've seen so far has taken me several weeks, not just a few days.

Unread 04-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #60
XJ2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Eric, everything looks great!

Thanks for posting up this "update" of sorts, it really complements what you've written in your book.

Keep up the good work!

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" RE SF, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Pavement Pounder: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
XJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.