Been so busy working on this thing I haven't been posting any updates. Here's a brief one.
Finding disc brakes for the Dana 60-ISU was a major headache and didn't turn out how I planned. I'll post this here so that if anyone else finds themselves with the same axle they will know what they are faced with. My axle is a 1989 and had drum brakes. 1995 - 2004? supposedly have the disc brakes and retain the 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern. I mistakenly thought that the axle flange that the backing plates bolt to would be the same on my older axle as the new ones. They aren't.
Here's the newer ones (guy said these were from an '01 or '02 I think):
Problem is the bolt pattern on the flange is a trapezoid pattern and my 1989 is a square/rectangular pattern like the usual Dana 60's and Dana 70's. So obviously these will not bolt up. Billy (JeepFreak21) used these but he had to make a spacer and then weld them on. I could have done that but this guy wanted $200 for these backing plates, calipers, and caliper brackets, which were all in bad shape. I said screw that.
I went back to the RuffStuff brackets and ordered the Dana 70 brackets, which is what Billy originally used (http://www.bsfab.net/?p=85
). I also used the bolt-on brackets but cut the lower half off in order to raise them, roughly 1/4", to fit over the E-350 rotors. I should mention that I tried using 12.5" rotors with a deep hat but all the ones I found will not fit over the E-350 hubs. So... you have to use the E-350 rotors which are 12.83" diameter.
I used the '75 Chevy 3/4-ton calipers which is what RuffStuff suggested and what I found is the brackets have the right spacing when welded to the in-board face of the flange. Here's how mine turned out:
So finally the rear axle is all but done. Got the Yukon cut-to-fit 4340 chromoly shafts cut and installed. Finally a simple job that went as planned!
Also I am jumping around a bit because unfortunately that is how the build is going at this point due to having to wait on parts, etc. Here's the shock hoops for the front: