Time to beef things up! - - a build thread of sorts - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Time to beef things up! - - a build thread of sorts

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
95_TSi_AWD
1991 XJ Cherokee 

any chance your selling the drop bracket setup?

95_TSi_AWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_TSi_AWD View Post
any chance your selling the drop bracket setup?
Yes but I'm going to try local first to avoid the shipping hassle. If I don't sell it I'll let you know. It'll be a couple weeks maybe.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
jimbosz07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

oh boy oh boy oh boy.... this is an awesome build. i love your jeep eric
jimbosz07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
bigern26
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I love your XJ
Im going to use yours to help me with build ideas for mine........
Would you happen to have the dimentions for the frame stiffeners?
i need to make a set

www.myspace.com/truckershrek
bigern26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #20
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the frame stiffeners and I was looking at them on T&T's website. Are they L shaped or U-shaped? Seems like a U-shaped brace would be a big pain on the driver's side given the fuel and brake lines are on the inside of the frame rail.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

bigern / conrasm - the T&T stiffeners are an L shape but the corner is bent to fit the contours of the frame rail. I was quite surprised at how well they fit. IMO, you want to avoid using a U channel. Not only does it add weight that probably isn't needed, but it would be a big pain to fit it around the sections where the pinch seam sticks out and you would have to remove the gas lines during the install because they run along the inboard side of the rail and you wouldn't want to be welding close to that.

Most people that make their own stiffeners just use 3" x 3" angle iron and it turns out pretty good. Also the T&T stiffeners are 3/16" thick which I think is good. 1/8" would probably work almost as good and save weight. 1/4" is (IMO) too heavy and not needed.

Unread 04-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #22
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

dang thats amazing, your gonna have such a solid rig (i didnt notice your Xmember was gone earlier to, my bad) are there plans for a cage for this...if your doing a full frame stiffener i may not be surprised for a halo cage?
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #23
Clean RC
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build Eric.. I am curious to see how the exhaust sounds.. I have been looking into something along those lines for my 90 since the engine swap..
04 Overland WJ - stock with stuff
82 J20 project fullsize
Clean RC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #24
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So for the front frame rails I bought the TMR (Temper-Mental Racing) plates. Here's the pic of their plates from their site:

They sell these in 1/8" and 3/16". I bought the 1/8" plates but what I didn't realize until later is that they mistakenly sent me one 1/8" and one 3/16". They sat in my garage for a couple months and I didn't notice until I got them out to install them. So it was too late to return the 3/16" one... I really only wanted the 1/8" and feel its strong enough (and doesn't add as much weight). Plus the 1/8" is much easier to work with since the plate needs to be bent in a couple places along the body.

So what I decided to do was to use the 3/16" ones on the driver side since it would match up better with my track bar bracket and C-rok plate.

I probably could have taken the time to match it up better with the T&T stiffeners but not to worry....

... because I planned on connecting the two together to prevent the frame from cracking between the two plates, which would be an obvious weak area.

I also plan on adding another small plate on the underside of the frame to further support this area. I have to get the Jeep off the jackstands first though so that is why I haven't done that yet.

Then I ran across a slight problem on the passenger side. I got most of it tacked in place except for the very front section which I was having trouble bending it to be flush against the frame rail. So I enlisted my 13 year old son to help me. I gave him a quick lesson on how to tack weld so that I could push the plate flush against the frame while he tacked it in place. He never has welded before but did a pretty good job. Here he's just practicing.

Last edited by EricsXJ; 04-02-2008 at 09:43 PM..
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #25
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the passenger side welded up.

and here's what I did on this side. I did it a little different on this side because I was working with two different plate thicknesses and this way made less of a gap.

And here they are with paint.

more tomorrow so stay tuned

Unread 04-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #26
geewally9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That's awesome build. Wish I had time,money, etc. Thats also great you got your son welding. It's a great thing for people to learn how to do.
geewally9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #27
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice work...will be watching this thread intently!
1990 Black 2 Door, Homemade 3" lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT's on rock crawlers, recovery front and rear, bed lined interior, rockerless, armored rear quarters, magnaflow muffler, CB, DIY Immobilizer, AC to OBA, Silverstars and a nice rack.
Build Up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...ild-up-820250/
325,000km young.
jeeposaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #28
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Eric!

At least one part of your build is something I will be addressing in the next month or two. I have the Dynomax cat back like you used to. Well the tip has come free from the muffler after 4 years of Chicago winters and general wetness. Instead of repairing I may just replace it as it is getting to be delicate like a carton of eggs.

Let me know how the sound is different on your new exhaust. I am not much for loud droning exhausts, but I could tolerate a touch louder than what the Dynomax was.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #29
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
... I'm also going with their Y-link long arm upgrade....
Dang you Eric, guess I'll be one of the last guys around still rockin' the RE drop brackets for a while longer.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #30
RWKXJ

Hey Eric...Looking good!
Just when I think I am catching up to your jeep...you go and do something like this! Maybe when I do the WJ swap in a week or two then you have something to be envious of on my Jeep. I have been able to keep up with you on trail so far, I guess we will see how that goes this season! Anyway, looks good when are we hitting the trail?
95 Sport, ~6" Lift-Rubicon Express & ACOS; RE Longarms w/ custom x-member.... 35x12.5 BFG KM2's, F&R Dana 44's; front-High pinion, narrowed to waggy width and an ARB, 4.88's, custom bumpers/sliders...
RWKXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.