Tightening Serpentine Belt-1999 Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tightening Serpentine Belt-1999 Sport

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #1
gajeepguy2002

Tightening Serpentine Belt-1999 Sport

Could someone let me know how to tighten the serpentine belt on a 1999 Cherokee Sport 4X4 - 4.0L ? I have a Haynes Manual but the info in this book isnt always correct. Although this manual says its for 1999 model, quite few things in the manual dont apply to my Jeep? ? ? It looks to be a very simple fix- just dont know what to loosen up first. Any help would be much appreciated since the weekend is comming up and Ill have time to adjust the belt.

gajeepguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
Apeman

It is actually easy to do, but a second set of hands may help out...all you need to do is loosen the 2 bolts that mount the power steering pulley, just like th manual says to do..have someone pull the belt tight and keep tension on it..then move the pulley bracket to the proper spot to maintain the tension and quickly tighten the 2 bolts..simple as that..the manual will show you the 2 bolts i am talking about..i think they are called something different.
Unread 03-21-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
tommyboy6800

i think when i replaced the idler/tensioner pully on my 98', there is a screw type tensioner. If i remember correctly that the tensioner screw is by the power steering pump and the idler pully. Place the belt on and the continue to tighten it with the tensioner. Not really sure on how tight it is supposed to be, but i got it tight enough that it doesn't squeak.
Unread 03-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #4
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Mine "had" the screw tensioner tyoe too. I gues I over tightened it and the bolt broke off... not really sure whats holding it together, but I got it tight enough to stop the belt from squealing, and it hasn't come loose in the past 6 or so months

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.