tick tick tick...I dont think its a problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > tick tick tick...I dont think its a problem?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

tick tick tick...I dont think its a problem?

Ok so i have always had this tick not a knock but a tick in my engine. It doesn't bug me normally and i have read a ton about these ticks but i done think mine is the same as most others.

When i start my cherokee its ticks very softly at idle. A normal person would never hear it. It doesn't get louder or increase in speed with acceleration it actually can't be heard with acceleration. I haven't noticed if it goes away when the engine warms. However I did notice it is coming from the right side of the vehicle (passenger side) about mid motor. If i put my ear up to the valve cover it is no louder actually quieter(kinda rules out a lifter) but if i put my ear in the void space between the inner fender and the engine it can be noticeably heard.

Any ideas?
143K Miles, oil pressure stable and good, full coolant, not overheating. runs great.

JeepNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

injectors may be
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
jdearmitt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ACp9kKZRY9o

It could be this little thing. Mine ticks all the time. I just tune it out now ha.
jdearmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

could it be the distributor cap?

injectors are on drivers side?
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdearmitt View Post

It could be this little thing. Mine ticks all the time. I just tune it out now ha.
hahahahaha thats the ****er

wth is it?! scared the **** outa me.

its nice to get a fast answer btw. thanks
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
SS01XJ

Charcoal canister purge solenoid?
SS01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sound like this?

If it does, it's a valve. That's my #3 cylinder ticking like that, don't know if it's intake or exhaust.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
jdearmitt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I believe its the evaporation purge solenoid. Its supposed to tick but not continuously. Mine isn't horribly loud but I can hear it when I pop the hood. If yours is noticeable inside the car then I would check the mounting bracket to make sure that thing isn't touching the A/C line of the firewall. If it is, then that could make the sound inside the car.

Also, you should take a close look at the vacuum lines running to/from the solenoid. Any leaks in the lines will cause the solenoid to run longer than it would otherwise.

-Justin
jdearmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post

Sound like this?

If it does, it's a valve. That's my #3 cylinder ticking like that, don't know if it's intake or exhaust.

My tick is a lot slower than that at idle.

if it is a valve is it bad? i hear these engines like to tick
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdearmitt View Post

I actually have now confirmed its that evaporation thingy. I turned the jeep on and everything ran no noises. 2 minutes after running tick tick tick tick tick and i go over touch the little cylinder evaporation thingy and yep clicking away at the same pace. SO that was my engine noise.
Unread 02-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, that is an easy fix then. My evap thing clicks too, but no where near as loud and out of time with the click from the video.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565361

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #12
jeeptown
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its called a purge solenoid. Some tick (cycle) loud some dont. Replace it if it really bothers you.
jeeptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I had some ticks when I got the XJ. Using marvel mystery oil in the crankcase each fillup has eliminated all ticks the engine had. Ive had to use a quart each oil change, because if I dont they come back. However, it really has made a difference in the quietness of the engine.
Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.
my 72 pontiac musclecar
lathan888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.