Tick Tick Tick from engine - 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tick Tick Tick from engine - 4.0

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tick Tick Tick from engine/ Coolant in Oil

Just picked up a 1999 XJ with 115,000 miles on. This morning I noticed a tick, tick, tick coming from the valve cover area (definately not bottom end). It seems to come and go at all at idle and througout acceleration. Speed of tick increases with engine RPM. It's not a leaking manifold. I picked up a can of rislone to run through it. I'm wondering if it's safe to give it a couple hundred miles to work it's way through or if I should take it in to be looked at right away. I don't know any of the history of this engine.

EDIT- coolant in oil, see below...

Last edited by danw77; 01-26-2008 at 01:14 PM..
danw77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Mine has ticked since I got it NEW in 1995, 241,000 miles and still ticking!

I would probably run 15w30 Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella if I were you. Here in the South, mine seems to do best with 15w40 Chevron Delo and a Wix 51515 filter!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ARGGHHHH! I just notice coolant in the oil.

Any ideas?
Unread 01-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Viscerebral
1990 XJ Cherokee 

pray for gasket failure. better than cracked head. pull plugs and look. someone here mentioned something about heads more likely to crack between certain cylinders some time waaaay back.
Viscerebral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

when i pull the plugs, what do i look for? never had this happen before, and no idea what to do next?!
Unread 01-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Viscerebral
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i am probably wrong, but: when my water pump went out and jeep got real hot i had my head gasket blow. water only in #3, but others dry. i believe the gist of the post i thought i read here was that the 4.0 was more prone to head cracking at one point moreso than others, and would allow water in adjacent cylinders, not just one.
forgive me if my memory is faulty.
Viscerebral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
nascarnation
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry
Mine has ticked since I got it NEW in 1995, 241,000 miles and still ticking!
Good input, thanks.
I got my first XJ about 5 months ago and figured it's just part of the Jeep character. I'm using 5W40 Rotella syn.
nascarnation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
89warwagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

your gonna have to pull the head and take it to the shop to have it magnafluxed(checked for cracks)and have it resurfaced because it's likely warped.

if your really lucky the headbolts are not torqued tight enough causing the head gasket to fail.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.