Tick Tick Tick, awating the boom - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tick Tick Tick, awating the boom

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
KurT5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tick Tick Tick, awating the boom

1999 Cherokee Sport Auto, 145,xxx miles, Oil changed regularly, 3" R.C. lift

I know there are many threads regarding flex plate & lifters knocking. Today at about 7 am i started my 1999 Cherokee Sport, backed out the driveway and put it into drive. About 20 yards down my road i start getting a sweet knocking. I has lightly knocked before so i figured possible dry start + the fact i havent driven it in a day ish. Further down the road it became more pronounced. I stopped double checked my oil and i was okay and put in some lucas (i know its frowned upon but its all i had) and still the knocking continued. All the way to work which is about 50 miles so idk what kinda damage i have done already but ill now describe the knocking.

I have audio but it was from my cell phone so obviously its not HQ but i also do not know how to add audio for you to hear. The knocking sounds basically like the slight knocking i had before but more pronounced. It was hard to tell where exactly it was coming from because it tends to echo in the engine bay. It sounded as if it was coming from my valve train because it seems to be 2x as fast as idle. The metal tapping would increase with engine RPM and speed. If i let off the gas for a split second it would be silent and then as idle came around it would tick with idle.

On my lunch break i took it to autozone because a friend with a jeep works there. He grabbed a stethoscope off the shelf and took a look/hear. He went through cyl by cyl until he reached the back of the engine. He said most likely a lifter has colapsed or bent valve etc etc. He and I talked about draining the oil and running about a gallon of diesel in the motor for 10-15 min to see if it would release a possibly stuck lifter so i did it. I then drained it out (hot as h*ll by the way) and then refilled with GTX high mileage with a K&N filter. No luck. On a side note i did mistakenly put on a fram oil filter roughly 2k miles ago when i did my oil maybe i did my self in idk.

My brother towed me home from work because i was afraid to do any more damage that i may have already done (he has a ford so that was depressing enough for me.) After putting my second car on the road that i hated doing (summer car thus the jeep for winter) i pulled the jeep in the garage and took off the valve cover. There was no scoring on the valve cover or any of the rocker arms. The bolts i will say were "loose" on the end cylinder (the back back one). I removed the rocker arms and checked for unusual scoring or anything and nada. The push rod from the last last (furthest one in the engine) rocker arm seemed out of place so i re-seated it. After checking everything i bolted the rockers back down to 10-Nm and the furthest rocker arm seemed to depress more compaired to the others. Again i have pictures but they dont really show much but ill add them anyways. I was hoping i worked wonders but after starting the jeep it played a nice little snare drum solo.

I have not checked the flex plate thing yet nor do i know exactly how (write up or pictures would be sweet) but if that might be my next step so be it. The only reason i went with the valve train first (and it still might be the issue) is because between the stethoscope and what i hear about flex plates making noise primarily at idle i assumed i was logical. Although when i crawl under the jeep it sounds almost identical. If anyone can help point me in the right direction i would appreciate your help greatly.

Cant post pics because i forgot my photobucket password & it locked me out it just gets better and better but i will admit to me the photos looked useless

PoopJeep the I'st - Saga Starter Rusted to Funk... R.I.P.
KurT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Did you try running it with the valve cover off and watching/listening to the valves? It wont hurt your engine and it won't get TOO messy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check the flex plate bolts for proper torque. If they are loose, use Lock Tight on them. Loose bolts or a cracked flex plate happens often enough that you should start there.

Remove the inspection cover on the bell housing and the bolts are right there.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
KurT5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

hussler, i didnt know if i would then be spraying oil everywhere or not so for now i just put the cover back on. i dont have my own garage im working in my parents so id rather not splatter paint the garage in oil but i wanted to look at it with the cover off and see if it was really my problem.

CJ7Tim, i have not yet checked the flex plate yet as i said. I will check that this evening. But some questions i have are that people mentioned the flex plate you will hear at idle & at speed you will not. that was my basis for starting with the valve train. Obviously i have thought about the possibility and will check it to help narrow my search. do you know of any pictures that would point me in the right direction? im at work so i sorta cant spend the day looking as much as i would love to but i want to get back into the jeep as soon as im home.
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
KurT5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

YouTube - 98 xj ticking

this video i found on you tube is IDENTICAL! to my noise...

anyone?

anyone?
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurT5 View Post
YouTube - 98 xj ticking

this video i found on you tube is IDENTICAL! to my noise...

anyone?

anyone?
That almost sounds like a header leak to me. Did you check for header leaks?
Quote:
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
KurT5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have not but the reason for not looking was i recently sea foamed (like 5k miles ago) and there was only white smoke from behind the vehicle not out the hood assuming that would provide exhaust leak spots as well
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have not but the reason for not looking was i recently sea foamed (like 5k miles ago) and there was only white smoke from behind the vehicle not out the hood assuming that would provide exhaust leak spots as well
True. But did you have this ticking sound 5k ago? It could have cracked since then
Quote:
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
KurT5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

fair enough. it ticked a little it always has. ill check it when i get home in an hr. i work 1 hr away so i have limited time each night to wrench the jeep so i just try to get all my ducks in a row prior. thanks i will look into it. any where is there a nice pic of the inspection plate i have to remove? havent found one
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Rollin
2005 WK 

That is most definitely not a cracked manifold. If I had to guess it would be valve. Have you taken the head off yet? Have you taken the plugs out to make sure there is not anything in the cylinders?

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
That is most definitely not a cracked manifold. If I had to guess it would be valve. Have you taken the head off yet? Have you taken the plugs out to make sure there is not anything in the cylinders?
Mine sounded just like that, it was cracked on the two back cylinders leading into the header. Fixed it, sounds just fine now. It doesn't hurt to check.
Quote:
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
KurT5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i have not removed the head yet because i was hoping trq specing everything in the valve train would have helped but it didnt. maybe that is my next step. im assuming ill be makin a mighty mess with removing the head? i just just like yesterday changed the oil hoping for miricals but nada so id be draining that and the coolant i presume?
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
KurT5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

oh **** hussler your from utica haha my last jeep i got was from bout there ish. guy screwed me good by undercoating all the frame rot. never knew until i worked on it and the undercoating basically fell off and i was "frame-less" (uni body i kno) maybe you can come grenade my jeep if its hopeless
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Rollin
2005 WK 

Quote:
i have not removed the head yet because i was hoping trq specing everything in the valve train would have helped but it didnt. maybe that is my next step. im assuming ill be makin a mighty mess with removing the head? i just just like yesterday changed the oil hoping for miricals but nada so id be draining that and the coolant i presume?
I know you just replaced the oil, but drain a quart and put a quart of atf in to see if that dislodges whatever is stuck.

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
KurT5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i was told to do that as well as drain the oil all together and run a gallon of diesel alone. i did the diesel part and then refilled. would there be any benifit of trying atf? or would it just be another possibility or something that people debate over use diesel or ATF? similar to how people swear auto RX and others are Seafoam

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.