Thunderbird Coils + S10 Bastard Pack Lift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Thunderbird Coils + S10 Bastard Pack Lift

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 04-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #31
95whiteXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedx95
If you want the same amount of lift as me, use your XJ main, and the whole s10 leaf pack without the overload (the stubby small bottom one).
The overload will give you about another 3/8-1/2 of lift, but you will need longer u bolts. Remember-absolutely important -PBBLASTER a week before. Will make your install time like 5x faster.
Get some carbide bits a hair larger than the S10 centerpin. You will need them to bore out the XJ leaf spring. REGULAR BITS WON'T WORK I TRIED.
Get some kind of leaf compressor. I used ratcheting tie downs, b/c i was able to drop the front axle so far down, and needed minimal compression
Good to know....and my fire dept chief has spring compressors he's gonna let me use so I don't have to rent some again lol

95whiteXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #32
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

update:
i have been driving it around.
I took it up to 85mph, no vibes (apart from the damn warped rotors under braking). Very satisfied, the ride is good, just take it easy on the speedbumps. The airshocks are going in tomorrow or wednesday.
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #33
JV82000
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Your really should get some new LCA's and a new trac bar. The old stuff is too short. I'm doing the lift as we speak but i'm installing a RE adjustable trac bar, RC fixed LCA's, front brake lines from a chevy truck, rear brake line from a dodge van, and also I'm going to try and make some sway bar disco's from a set of links off of a full size bronco.
JV82000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #34
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'm doing the brakelines and I have to do something with the swaybar, ie longer bracket or discos, I'm on a vey tight budget, and can't really afford the Lcas or trackbar. I just redrilled my trackbar hole, seems to be working fine. I installed the rear airshocks, gave me an inch of lift in the rear, which leveled out the Jeep. I only inflated to 70psi, out of a possible 200psi. Ride is still good, a little harsh on large depressions in the road
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #35
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

What are you doing for front sway bar links.

Also, did you ever end up making a writeup?
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #36
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'm still running the stock swaybar links. They barely rub if at all. I might weld something up. I'll have to do write soon if there's enough demand
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #37
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Hmm. guess ill buy some from IRO.

I'm also doing thunderbird springs in the front.
Plenty of lights
Unread 05-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #38
Hummeron37s
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting. I never heard of this lift but I am new to Jeeps so it ok. I have a addaleaf in the rear and coil spacers in the front but was looking at ways to get rid of the coil spacers. I could do tbird coils in the front and leave the add a leaf or change the whole rig to coilovers or airbags like i want to..
Hummeron37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #39
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

here is some info I found on the tbird springs:

Front coil springs from a 3.8 V6 equipped Ford Thunderbird/Cougar offer 3-4in of lift and the softer ones noted below ride and flex like stock XJ coils.

83-88 TBird, Cougar = more lift
89-97 TBird, Cougar = less lift

Spring ratings:
Front: 223-282 lb./in. 3.8 liter V6 *closest to XJ ratings* these coils are used on the bare bones basic cars
Front: 349-403 lb./in. 3.8 liter SC Loaded with every option, very stiff ride
Front: 270-330 lb./in V8 Medium ride
Plenty of lights
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #40
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

update:
do not buy the shock extenders and reuse stock length shocks. They work fine off road, but I took it wheeling last saturday and bent one, and snapped the other. So one side of my jeep is bouncing till i go pick up my spares.
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #41
Sorenabel
1990 XJ Cherokee 

So any of the tbirds will give a stock jeep atleast 3" or so inches of lift? Just wondering cause I was at the jy today and was going to pull some v6 or v8 ones out but the could looked shorter them jeeps stocks springs... Is it just the spring and isolater that we use for it? Thank you
Sorenabel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #42
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

v6 ones are the best ride. v8 ones are medium. v6 SC (aka loaded trim) are very harsh so don't get those. They will all probably net you 4.5 of lift with the strut plate.
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #43
Sorenabel
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Did you use your stock u bolts for the rear leafs?
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #44
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I did but only because
1)the jeep had absolutely no rust (miami jeep).
2)budget
Unless you live in miami or arizona, i highly suggest you get some new ones.
Unread 02-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #45
Sorenabel
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I live in medford oregon. Theres no rust on my jeep except in the front passenger side wheel well cause my younger sister drive it into a pole doing about 45. But thats the only rust fortunately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.