throwing codes need HELP. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > throwing codes need HELP.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
shay737

throwing codes need HELP.

i was sitting in the car wash today and all the sudden my check engine light came on and my jeep started idling at about 1400 rpms. i took it over to autozone to have the obd read and it came out with 5 codes, here they are

P0123
tps/pedal position
sensor a
circuit high input

p0301
cylinder 1
misfire detected

p0700
trans control sys
malfunction

p0463
fuel level sensor a
circuit hight input

p0122
tps/pedal position
sensor a
circuit low input.

will changing out my TPS take care of all of this. i need help so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

shay737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
blue96jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

well if that happened to me i would change the tps and have the codes cleared if thay come back then they have to be addressed also, but then again codes only get thrown if a sensor is bad or going bad.

ryan
blue96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think the curious thing is that these codes set WHEN you were in the car wash. Most car washes aren't powerful or snaky enough to sling water on the TPS so not sure what is happening; it may be simply a coincidence. First thing I would do would be to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so, then start and drive the vehicle and see if the CEL comes back. If it doesn't, great. If it does, I would test the TPS, it's pretty easy to do. Use the SEARCH function for more information
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
shay737

well after i got the codes read and started driving it home i noticed it was running with weird rpms and seemed to not be changing gears at the right times. thanks for any advice. i also need directions on how to change the tps if it is something i can do myself.
Unread 10-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The TPS is very easy to change out; couple of torx screws if I remember correctly. Located on the throttle body along with the IAC. I'd try the battery thing first and if that doesn't work, test the parts. Throwing parts at a problem is not necessarily a very efficient way of fixing problems.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
shay737

how do you test the tps.
Unread 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
lazermule
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay737 View Post
well after i got the codes read and started driving it home i noticed it was running with weird rpms and seemed to not be changing gears at the right times. thanks for any advice. i also need directions on how to change the tps if it is something i can do myself.
My 2001 XJ does exactly the same thing after a car wash. It doesn't happen every time and it doesn't happen in the rain. Mine bucks like a misfire combined with a tranny error (auto) and stays in 3rd gear if there is even a moderate throttle angle.

After it dries out, all is good.

Any ideas???

LM
lazermule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazermule View Post
My 2001 XJ does exactly the same thing after a car wash......... After it dries out, all is good. Any ideas???
A loose connector is probably getting water inside and shorting somewhere. Get a tube of dielectric grease and a can of electrical contact cleaner at the parts store. Disconnect and clean the wire plug connectors at the engine computer and at the throttle body, clean the connectors and then apply a tiny bit of the special grease to the connector and plug it back together. If the cleaning doesn't help, find, remove, clean and firmly re-attach all the ground wire to body connections for the battery and engine.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
FullMoonMadness

Thank you for this post, it helped me resolve my issue. My jeep was revving very high once it reached 20 MPH, but wouldn't change to the next gear. It turned out to be the throttle position sensor. $42 at Auto Zone, and the issue was resolved in the 15 minutes it took to replace.
FullMoonMadness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.