those who have warn hub conversion I need help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > those who have warn hub conversion I need help.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hello so I have the warn lock out hub kit on the front( 5x4.5 ) I got the kit used a few years back and have been running it. But I have a problem finding rotors that work right with them. So I went and bought 97 tj rotors ( both offsets) and stock xj rotors but my problem is that it maxes out my caliper ( I need a bigger hat offset) .has anyone had this problem or have a part number that works with this set-up? The only option I can come up with is to run these spacer I made but its not the safest idea. Its on a 2000 xj if it matters.

Unread 01-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Warn manual hub kit uses stock rotors that have had the center opening machined larger, correct ?

Contact JF members MrBlaine or Stu Olsen for questions about Warn hubs.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The Warn manual hub kit uses stock rotors that have the center opening machined larger, correct ?

Contact JF members MrBlaine or Stu Olsen for questions about Warn hubs.
Yes 90+ wrangled rotors i have triple checked that I have the right ones I just bought new ones yesterday. Looking at my set up compared to stu's his is closer to the knuckle then mine by about 1/4" I have an 1/8 spacer I made to get me going but I would rather not. I searched extensively but can find a rotor with more offset.

edit: are tj knuckles different then xj knuckles?
why do they have different rotors but the same caliper?
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

here is what i have . its a xj rotor with 1/8 spacer so its the same as a tj rotor.
you can see how the caliper is maxed out and its starting to grove the back of the rotor.
rotor1.jpg   rotor.jpg  
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That's the problem i ran into when i had my Warn lock out hubs.The rotor needs to be machined to work.The lack of people who could turn that down dwindled so i had to remove them.Now if i have an issue i know i can go to Advanced Auto parts for the parts.
xjpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What you mean turn them down ? Make the thickness of the rotor thinner ? While that's not a problem and I can do that my self. going too thin can be a problem and I think 1/8" a side is below spec .
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

As I understand the conversion, Warn manual hub kit uses stock rotors that have had the center opening diameter machined larger.

You need to buy rotors and then have them modified, right ? Wondering what Stu Olsen or MrBlaine have to say ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You are correct cj7 ! Stu said there is no spacer used ( as I suspected) hes just as stumped as me. Im going to go to the tj forum and see if someone can get me some measurements on the knuckle. Thats the only idea I have left. Other then machine the knuckle face back.
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yes the stock rotor must have the insides machined.I could not get any brake shop to do that-you need a lathe with a chuck big enough.The guy where i get my work done sends it to a local machine shop.I used to get an extra set done so i wouldn't be stuck.The Warn hub kits are nice because the hubs are not locked until you manually do it,less wear and tear.I removed the whole unit after i had catastrophic damage to a bearing and almost had the wheel come completely off while driving.
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
Yes the stock rotor must have the insides machined.I could not get any brake shop to do that-you need a lathe with a chuck big enough.The guy where i get my work done sends it to a local machine shop..I used to get an extra set done so i wouldn't be stuck.The Warn hub kits are nice because the hubs are not locked until you manually do it,less wear and tear.I removed the whole unit after i had catastrophic damage to a bearing and almost had the wheel come completely off while driving.
ah got ya i just set em up on the mill and do a circle gotta love cnc !!
the kid i got mine from his started to come apart also took me about 8 hours of work to get it useable. your not from ct are you?

well i put the new rotors on toniight with the 1/8 spacer i made and it looks awesome. in the same spot as stu's picture. if some one has a tj axle that you know 100% its from a tj i would appreciate a measurement if you have it torn down ( see picture)
knuckle.jpg   rotor2.jpg  
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

No not from CT from NJ.I still have the drivers side and its complete but the passenger side was beyond repair unless i hit the lottery at the time.Was looking at almost $1000.00 in parts from Warn and also labor.I have the instructions somewhere i think.Also remember that you just cant drive and shift into 4 wheel drive.The hubs need to be locked and then you must shift before you go driving.There is no shift on the fly.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can shift into 4x4 with the hubs unlocked giving you true 2 low . Hmmm pm me if you ever want to part with the set up. I love s pair parts.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.